how do i adjust my brakes?

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is the procedure for adjusting the brakes on my trailer? it is a surge activated drum set-up. id like to get a little more braking power out of it. also is it normal to hear a loud clunk when taking off after coming to a stop? Im assuming the noise im hearing is the coupler releasing when the weight shifts back to the rear. Thanks

dcmtfam

Recruit
Re: how do i adjust my brakes?

Check your fluid level in the actuator to help the clunk. The drum brakes on you trailer adjust like drum brakes on a car. There is a slot on the backing plate to access the adjusters. Usually the slot is covered with a rubber plug.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Adjusting your barakes is just one step you need to do. After you do that, jack up each wheel and apply the brakes by compressing tha master cylinder to make sure each wheel can lock up by hand. I have found that the major cause of a clunk is either a failed master cylinder or wheel cylinder although brakes that are way out of adjustment could cause it.

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

alright, i thought that maybe it may be different than regular drums. I will check them out and see whats going on. Thanks'