How do boat names affect resale?

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How do boat names affect resale?

Scipper's gonna want to avoid Rick's boat too!:D

scipper77

Commander

OK I'll bite, What is the name of rick's boat??

B.T.W. (That means by the way for those who are acronym impaired) My boat is named "The Water Breaker" as my wife was like 7 months pregnant when I baught it. I can still remember staring at her, not the water every time we went over someone elses wake.

scipper77

Commander

tashasdaddy,

How does the boat renaming ritual go??

also I'm very surprised to see that no one posted back that they are superstitious. A guy I work with who races sailboats is the third owner (I think) of his boat. When he bought it he changed it's name back to the original name for superstitious reasons (The Thunder Chicken).

oops!

Supreme Mariner

tashasdaddy,

How does the boat renaming ritual go??

also I'm very surprised to see that no one posted back that they are superstitious. A guy I work with who races sailboats is the third owner (I think) of his boat. When he bought it he changed it's name back to the original name for superstitious reasons (The Thunder Chicken).

search naming/renaming.....its been posted a few times......

its really long and appeases all the gods of the sea and wind.......a real maritime tradition........depending on your faith....some times you just pray

mthieme

Captain

I would have said "no effect on resale", but after seeing the example posted. then it would really stop me from buying it....even if I removed the name, it would probably be outlines in the hull.

Cheers
Phillip

I'm with Phil.

Also, I don't think I'd sink any $ into a boat named "Leaky"

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

B.T.W. (That means by the way for those who are acronym impaired) My boat is named "The Water Breaker" as my wife was like 7 months pregnant when I baught it. I can still remember staring at her, not the water every time we went over someone elses wake.

Wet Spot:D

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Scipper's gonna want to avoid Rick's boat too!:D

:eek: :eek:

BF

Lieutenant

I recall a boat named "money pit"... True probably, but I'd think that might hurt resale.

scipper77

Commander

my favorite boat name that I've seen is "For Play".

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I'm thinking any crafts named The Flying Dutchman, or Titanic should be avoided!!:p:p:D:D:D

dlkiller

Cadet

I wouldn't let a name scare me if I wanted the boat.
I'd get that old lettering off, even if I had to strip it down to bare metal and repaint it.

scipper77

Commander

Well I guess that absolutely nobody is superstitious when it comes to changing a boat name!!

I don't believe in superstition as I am a man of science.

I do however like to participate in certain superstitions like not bringing bananas on the boat, It's like a game or something.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

For me, a name like that would make me take a very close look at the boat, itself, though. Sometimes, folks with that kind of attitude aren't all that careful with their junk. They may also be a little more prone to fail to disclose problems with their junk when they unload it.

A big part of a transaction, for me, is dealing with the owner of something I'm considering buying. A lot of attitude generally sends me to the next seller down the line.

I think you hit the nail on the head there.