How did you get into boating?

thomsonr

Cadet
Just curious, just took my boat of the water here in Canada, NB. I had never owned a boat before this summer or never even been in anything except a ferry. Bought a 17' bowrider with 180hp and had a great amount of fun except for my lack of experience. At the start of the summer I was putting it in and out of the water at a local ramp until one day I had a mechanical problem and was towed into the local marina. Once I got in there I loved the atmosphere and bought a berth immediately. As a beginner I was amazed at the info, advice and friendship offered. I'll be back next summer.

When I bought this boat it seemed huge. In fact the owner was somewhat reluctant to sell it to me as I had no experience. Once it was in the Marina and after a few rides my perception changed. It seems pretty small now but I plan on waiting a few years to get more experience before I move to a bigger boat.

I guess I'm curious about how you started out and did you move on to bigger boats once you gained more experience.

Honestly, I'm hooked and can't wait for next summer!

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How did you get into boating?

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating ! For the most part its one big happy family. With some exceptions of course, those exceptions are most apparent at boat launches I M O:mad: I live in Mn land of 10,ooo lakes [ actually more like 15,000 but who's counting :p] Gotta have a boat. I believe per capita Mn has one of the highest rates of boat ownership. Had friends w boats and got into water skiing etc. Bought a boat as a 30th Bday present 4 myself. Quit smoking cigs at the same time to finance it. Still have it and I just turned 49:D:cool:

Rumley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since I was a child I was fishing with my dad on Huron. When I turned 19 I was a salmon fishing guide on lake Huron driving a 24' Starcraft for a resort. Absolutely loved it. But my love affair became an obsession 3 years ago when I went out for a weekend with my 2 friends in his Starcraft. I realized that there is nothing more relaxing the spending a full weekend in a boat. I just boughty boat last November and after 8 weeks and 5grand in new parts and electronics she was on the water this spring. I can't imagine a summer now without a boat.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too got into boating and fishing, by spending time with the parents. Not that I ever had a choice in the matter, I was too young in the beginning.

Now, I have two boats, and a canoe.

ziggy

Admiral

i was one year old when i went to mn. to visit grandad at his cabin. grandad had wood fishing boats. i always wanted to go out boating. dad later bought the cabin. he got a speed boat. water sports for teens ya know. so anyways. imho, the cabin was where it was at. + it had boats. my first job i commuted to work in a boat... i've been hooked a while now... that was back in the 60's and 70's..

i'd sure move up in boat size. but lack of funds prevents it..

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

We go into boating, in a serious way, when we started scuba diving. It became rapidly apparent that we did not like having to go with a lot of people to a location chosen by someone else, who was usually a jerk.

We tried renting, but it was too limiting, expensive, and the boats weren't in the best condition.

So we bought a very used 1972 19' Aquasport, with a 115 Johnson. Loved the boat, engine could have been better and was way too low on power.

Bought a 26' 1986 Welcrap Coastal, with a 225 Evenrude, which was too small in HP. When it blew up we replaced it with a 300hp, rebuilt Evenrude. By the time it was broken in I hated that boat so much, I almost gave it away.

I now have a 2008 Seacat 226 DC, with twin Suzuki 140 DF's. Love the boat, love the ride, engines are great, but now we think we want to be able to sleep on board.

Boaters are always looking for their next boat, no matter how good the one they have is. Just the nature of the beast.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

My dad bought a small (16'?) runabout when I was 4 years old (1969). He got 5-foot-itis, and then (1973?) bought a 21', then moved up to a 24' SeaRay in 1977. I was given the command of the helm from age 11 on, and have been hooked since. Bought my first bought in 1990, it was a 22' 1956 Jersey Skill. Thing rolled like a ball in any water conditions. A couple of boats later, took a break (moved). When I got to Florida, got the bug again, and I'm on my 2nd boat here.

thomsonr

Cadet

Wow, I just hit 50 so we are in the same ballpark. You're boat doesn't look much different than mine. I have an 17' Edison bowrider with 3.8 and about 175 hp.

You're serving on the USS Merrill? I'd love to hear about it.

'

Pirate_40

Seaman

I was 16 yrs old and saved my money delivering newspapers for two competing papers. My savings was supposed to be for a car but I wasn't old enough to drive a car. However I was old enough to drive a boat, didn't need a permit or licence......... Holy geez, the poop hit the fan when my pop found out I spent my money to buy a boat instead of a car.:p I eventually got a car. It was a POS, but who cared, I had an alternate method of transportation. Been a boater ever since.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

My dad bought a 16'trihull Evinrude boat I believe in 1970, I was 5.My family brother,sister started taking week or longer trips camping at KERR lake,and Cape Lookout/Shackleford banks, fishing and exploring,Mom was quite the fisherwoman too!!We stayed at a small motel/gas/store that was on Cape Lookout and fished the shoals and the banks.Dad got a 21' GW in 79 or 80.The ratrace slowly ended the fun.I feel privelidged to have enjoyed this when crowds were few and the fishing was almost always fantastic!!I think a campsite at Kerr lake w spigot was 5 bucks a night,and the campground was often half empty.I remember when dad let me alone take the boat to the ramp when we left Kerr lake one time.I must have been 9 or 10 and remember the disbeleif and thrill, it was 3 or 4 miles.Ive had friends w boats also.I finally got my boat in 07, when the wife finally said I could!LOL.I should have done it long ago.The relaxation and feeling of freedom to go were and when or nowhere is unique and I find sometimes I stay way longer than I planned too.Quiet nights w fantastic sunsets on the lake and a few more fish are the perfect ending to any bad day!and no jetskis.remember when there were none?Doctors advice,get a boat and use it often!!It can cure anything!paying for it is the tradeoff for the joy.sorry about the spelling.

Last edited:

Triton II

Commander

I lived close to our local sailing club as a kid. When I was five I could swim the required 50 yards to join the sailing school. Sailed Sabots and Vaucluse Juniors then moved into faster monohulls and the occasional cat. I also spent most weekends in the winter with my Uncle Mick who owned an Owens cruiser with a 7 litre V8 in it.

Although I sailed competitively for 40 years, one day, 8 years ago at the Sydney boatshow, I saw a little aluminium 16ft cuddy cabin and thought, oh well, these modern four stroke outboards are quiet and efficient, so let's just do it. My wife loved that little boat - we went everywhere and anywhere with it and put 800 hours on the motor (F60 Yam) in five years. We named it For No Apparent Reason, because my sailing mates kept asking why I bought a "power" boat.

Someone posted earlier "you're always looking out for a bigger/better boat". How true.

Hence two years ago we commissioned a plate alloy 20ft cuddy with a F115 which arrived the day before my 50th birthday, and we couldn't be happier.

Boating? It gets in your blood, under your skin and into those little secret folds of skin between your toes. :)

windshield_time

Seaman Apprentice

It was all my mother in laws fault. She gave it to us after her second husband let it sit for 4 years in the yard. Hauled it from Mi to Ny and my son and I put it back together. Would be the last thing to go if I needed the money. Keep thinking of a bigger one but would not want to get rid of this one, too much hard work and love in this one.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, I just hit 50 so we are in the same ballpark. You're boat doesn't look much different than mine. I have an 17' Edison bowrider with 3.8 and about 175 hp.

You're serving on the USS Merrill? I'd love to hear about it.

No more Merrill That was in the 80s Its now on the bottom of the Pacific out of Hawaii as they decomed it and used it for target practice:( I like our vintage boats, Ive been out of work so I have had a lot of time to putz Redid all the woodwork, buffn it this week, new u jnt bellows, water hose ,shift cable w bellows, Impeller. What state is that town you live in , in, anyhow ?

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My family has owned boats since before I was born.

At two years old I had been boating in a 14 ft wooden runabout for two seasons.

Just always have, can't imagine not.

32_d3gr33s

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was never into boating, but my brother bought a 16 foot day sailer and took me out on it. once we got out to the big lake there was litterally no wind so we went back in, but it was just relaxing trolling through the smaller lake. I had some cash for a tattoo i was going to get then came across my boat on craigslist. Figured i could get another tattoo whenever, but a deal like that not too often so i picked up the boat. Only had it out a few times but loving every minute of it.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Fishing here and I grew up on river so I spent endless hours in a row boat or a canoe.

I started fishing again about 20 years ago an tired of the limits of shore fishing so I picked up a 12' jon and a 1964 9.9 Johnson, outgrew that baot pretty quick and moved into my boat now, a 16' custom built Sea Nymph wiht a 50 Evinrude.

It is just nice being on the water, I go fishing to get out, if I catch something that is a bonus.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am descended from Mariners (Atlantic fishermen) on both sides so I guess it was in the genes - I couldn't help myself :redface: I grew up on the north shore of Lake Erie and can't remember NOT being around boats, fishermen, or sailors. I had friends and relatives that had boats and bought my first boat at age 22, a 26 foot steel inboard cruiser. The boat didn't last long before I married and moved away - no more boating :(

Last fall (at age 60) and looking forward to retirement I decided it was time I had a boat again and now have a 24 foot Lone Star Cruise Liner III on Lake of the Woods.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I was never a "boat guy", the printing factory where I had worked for 20 years had many "boat guy's", I just could never get into it. I was invited to go many times but always declined. Then I changed jobs & was a service tech for 10 years then moved into sales. This position took me to many lakes in the area I've never been to before. It was like being hit with a brick, I loved the atmosphere of a lake front cottage & having a boat. I fell into a good deal on an older bayliner bowrider with an 85hp o/b, good starter boat for me + it was almost free & have been on the water every chance I got this summer. I too had a newbi start to boating- forgetting the plug, forgetting the transom straps, stupid stuff like that, but now I have no problems at all & often go out by myself just for a slow ride around the lake checking for lake front cottages for sale. Plan on refurbishing the deck & interior this off season & trading it in or selling it out right to help pay for the next boat. I'll never be boat-less again. I've had many toy's before- quad's, classic cars, etc., but the boat thing is here to stay.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

My grandad bought a cottage on a lake when my dad was a young man. That cottage has now been in the family for 60+ years. It's also gone from a simple three room cottage to a full blown lake house. Being born in October, I can honestly say that I have been boating since I was still in the womb. In fact, my mom went into labor with me while on a pontoon ride. I was almost born on the lake. With luck, that's where my final days will be.

superbenk

Commander

Grew up at a camp right on Canandaigua Lake in the Fingerlakes in NY. We'd go waterskiing a couple times a week and picnic on the boat some weekends when the camp groups weren't there. Bought a 1961 14-15' Starcraft (or something) for $200 from the marina a mile down the road when I was in high school & ran it until it died. Worked at the marina pumping gas for a summer and loved seeing all the people & their boats.

Anyhow, I was around boats all the time growing up so I jumped at the opportunity to restore one of the old boats that was donated to the same camp when we vacationed there a few years ago. My wife grew up on sailboats so she likes them too!