How can I get rid of the water in the hull?

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice
The volume between the hull and dack in my "Skibsplast TC 17" should be sealed.
But I found a small hole on the deck, close to the stern.
Water obviously found its way through that hole.

I have drilled an small inspection hole and realized she has water in the hull.
It wouldnt be a problem if the hull was not filled with polyurethane foam (or something very similar). The foam is somewhat wet and I am not sure how much extra weight is there.

May be I am just alarmed with my low mileage, but

Can anyone give me idea on how to get rid os the water ?

Does not seem to be feasible to remove the foam, unless with use of some "magic" chemistry to turn the polyurethane foam into liquid.

Even if that sort of chemsitry exist, wouldn't be the foam also to provide robustness to the construction?

I wanna keep the boat (I find she cute!), but of course will consider a new one just to make sure I am alone in the boat.

Sure that I am not the first to have this issue,

I appreciate any input!
Thanks!

Attachments

• Skibsplast  17 TC.jpg
    Skibsplast 17 TC.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How can I get rid of the water in the hull?

Yeah , she is a pretty old boat,....but you could store that boat in a 100 degree oven for 3 yrs and still not dry out the foam.....and the very next time it gets any water inside...the foam will sponge it in...there is no miracle chemical to disolve the foam , well , none that would be safe to use...you have a handful of resto work ahead of you...if the top of the "flotation foam " is wet , just think about how much water is in the bottom of that foam..I've been there ...and still redoing it.....lol...much luck to ya bro !

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unfortunatelty I have to concur with Stachi. Nothing short of a full restoration is gonna resolve your issue. With that being said, you have one awesome looking boat so if there's a boat worth doing a full resto' yours is it. I would recommend heading over to the restoration thread and start posting pics and asking questions.

Moody Blue

Captain

Yea, been there done that too. Once it's wet, it will always be wet. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Depending on how much water is in there, you could be lugging around hundreds of pounds of water. The worse thing is that since there is all that water in there, the wood structure (stringers, transom etc) is most likely rotted as well.

Wish you luck.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey... for some reason I really like old boats and have a bunch of them, nothing at all fancy or worth much. I'd figure out a way to deal with it and keep the boat.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

That boat is an absolute resto!!! She's beautiful.

This is not so much a complex problem, but the solution is not a simple one, referring to the quote in your signature.

Andy's Delight is right. Check out the resto forum and start posting facts, pictures, and questions. That beautiful boat needs you now. Please make her your winter project this year. Enjoy her for the summer. Please keep us posted. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be looking for you in the resto forum.

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice

Warnings for heads up, compliment to reiforce my feelings...Yeah, thanks for the feedback!

She?s a sweet Norwegian boat, has been in the water with me with no complains!
As any at that age, wrinkles are there...but I will not let her down.

I will keep up with my investigations to find the a way to help her!

Any further input will be of course appreciated.