How big a boat for my needs?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Where to start....Pontoons especially modern version are great sure but there is no wind break on them or at least not until you get into the lower 6 figure models. You are exposed to the wind all day long and can't get behind the windshield, close the center window and bow door to get away when you've just had enough.
For your family, what you have going for you is that the kids are still small....but they will grow and it happens fast. Adding on another family of 4....with fishing going on....you are going to need at least a 24 foot bowrider and I think in reality larger for a comfortable day and then you will need a 5.7 or a 6.2 versus the base 5.0 that may come in some of the 24 footers. I've got two boys they were little when we bought our previous boat (actually one wasn't born yet) which was 18 feet and as they grew needed something larger and so moved up to our current which is 23'9". It's just about right for our family of 4. I can't imagine loading up nine people on there for anything other than a cruise and get ready for hooks in you seats if you plan to fish with little kids or even inexperienced adults. We don't fish out of our main bowrider because they don't make good fishing boats for a whole host of reasons.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
The big "O",, not the place for a "toon",, 24ft,, deep V.. V8... You need the deep V to handle the chop on the Big "O"

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at your requirements.....A Bayliner Element E21...new for 2017 fits it to a tee!

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
Tonnes of great feedback guys - really appreciate it. Sounds like I need to re-align my expectations. I've now figured out that the second family will be pontoon or they stay at the dock. I'll have a little more contemplating to do now. I've a few threads mentioning that the used boat market is spring and fall, and nothing in between. If that's the case, I'll have to get myself straightened away pretty soon if we'll be on the water this summer...

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
Well, that first post was after reading page 1 - didn't realize page two was loaded up yet! I'll answer a few questions:
Tow vehicle - Ram 1500 with tow package - not too worried about weight behind the vehicle - but now starting to thing about a smaller boat anyway.
Yeah, not a fan of pontoon on Erie - scares me actually.
Appreciate the feedback on what to expect as a first-timer. smaller and fewer people makes sense.
Bonus is my wife's family has a cottage in Rondeau, we can launch, and do smaller trips with fewer people from beach as was mentioned. That sounds like the best plan.
All that being said - I am starting to think of leaning to get myself a setup that is more geared to fishing for 5-6 people - me and boys will get more use out of that. Mom can come the odd time and work from the beach (which will make her happy) and we can pull a tube around a few times a summer. IF all that pans out, then I guess I'll look at upgrading then.

Can't say thanks enough for all the feedback. It has really helped me filter down what I need to be looking at.

josh_booth

Seaman
Northern Ohio here, spend plenty of time on Erie. The way Erie gets I would never go out on a pontoon boat, a few years ago when we were younger, dumber, and braver we were chasing walleye deeper and deeper. Day started out 1-3 footers, out of no where winds shifted and we were almost 10 miles out in a 17 foot bass boat on 5-7 foot waves.

Second, try looking away from home for used boats, just the nature of lake Erie is hell on boats.

Third, on size, my 19 footer seats 6, but at that point its pretty tight, comfortable is 4 fishing

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
5 People fishing and a 1/2 ton pickup for towing? 20-21 foot open bow with a cover that snaps over the bow - it makes a big water scoop in a blow. The biggest number of people I've ever seen comfortable while fishing from the cockpit is 4, so the open bow gives you two more spots. Watersports in a boat this big screams V8 - 5.0L with a DP/B3 will manage, but a 5.7L is more sensible. Deadrise at the transom... that's your focus. 20 degrees at a minimum, lest you rattle the family so hard they give up on boating.

Here's a tip: When there's no way to avoid pounding on plane, just take it slow and make the ride back to the dock as comfortable as possible. It's easy for the skipper to overlook just how miserable the passengers are during a beating. When I was sailing, I paid close attention to the weather radio and I learned to read the sky. I'm really glad I learned to read the sky, because there have been times when the weather radio missed a blow - and I was prepared (battened down with spring lines at the dock) in plenty of time before it hit. Watching the newbies roll in to the dock during a surprise blow is more entertaining than watching a boat launch.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
With more than 4 persons fishing out of any boat in the 20-28 foot range is just not fun. More people than that and you are looking at a big cruiser. Have you ever fished with more than 4 people in a boat? You spend more time untangling crossed lines than fishing. Unless you are an expert long line trolling you aren't going to troll with more than 4 lines out and the equipment to do that costs many thousands. On Erie you can use 2 lines per fisherman. Even drifting will get hairy with more than 3 people, all the lines will be on the same side of the boat. You are talking still fishing for Perch. That gets boring fast. When was the last time you fished with more than 4 people on a boat? You didn't say what you would be fishing for on Erie and up North? I will never take more than 3 just Perch fishing and only the 2 of us ever longlining for Pickerel running 4 lines, and that keeps me very busy pointing the boat in the right direction in my 19 foot StarCraft open bow. Only 2 of us casting for Bass, more than that and someone has a good chance of catching a hook rather than a fish.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I fish 6-8 lines out my smaller boat (16') all the time, 12+ out of the larger boat (23'). It has more to do with the room for people on the boat than the rods.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have no experience with fishing but I do like to take lots of people out for a day of cruising and tow sports. A pontoon boat is terrible for tow sports unless it's one of those tri-toons with a huge engine. Even then, a V bottom would be much better: generally faster, more maneuverable, and a better wake.
I had a 20' open bow with a 210 HP V8. With 11 people it was really crowded and the power was lacking. With 8 people it's still crowded and the power is just okay. I'm hoping upgrade to around a 24' or 26' with 300 HP minimum. Really, I want a big block with 375 HP or so. So many 24' boats seem to have the little 5.0. I can't imagine that being even close to enough power with the boat loaded.