Houston….. We’ve had a problem…..

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I put an ARCO PMGR in mine. Good quality starter.
Thats what I have coming. Honestly, at this point, anything is probably better than what I pulled off. This one was TOAST....

ScottinAZ

new starter came in yesterday, and I installed it today at lunch... Not nearly as large a PITA as I had thought it would be. Took about 20 minutes. Great news is, I now have 150 psi cranking on all six holes. now I can finish bolting this thing together and hear it run for the first time.

ScottinAZ

Great glad to hear that the project it coming along well!
yeah, as long as parts actually show up, progress can be made.

Still had some time on lunch, so I got the carb reassembled as well. Holleys are a LOT easier than a 2jet or Qjet.... no choosing which gasket is the right one, when your original is destroyed.... only one choice with the Holley....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Gotta love owners who choose Parts by seeing if they Fit. Those longer plugs added a few Rpms to the Idle, with Combustion starting closer to the Piston, so the Owner figured he had really done well

ScottinAZ

Gotta love owners who choose Parts by seeing if they Fit. Those longer plugs added a few Rpms to the Idle, with Combustion starting closer to the Piston, so the Owner figured he had really done well

Parts clown probably didn’t know the difference either….. duhhhhhh a spark plug is a spark plug…… right?!?!?!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
with these it isn't Rocket Science....pre Vortec = short plug, & Vortec = long plug!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
yeah, as long as parts actually show up, progress can be made.

Still had some time on lunch, so I got the carb reassembled as well. Holleys are a LOT easier than a 2jet or Qjet.... no choosing which gasket is the right one, when your original is destroyed.... only one choice with the Holley....
However Q-Jet gaskets come right off, they don't get glued on like Holley gaskets do....there are so many variations on the Q-Jet because they were used on everything GM built from 1966-1986 or so, ranging from the OHC inline 6 Pontiac to the 454 Chevrolets and 455 Olds, Buicks and Pontiacs.

ScottinAZ

However Q-Jet gaskets come right off, they don't get glued on like Holley gaskets do....there are so many variations on the Q-Jet because they were used on everything GM built from 1966-1986 or so, ranging from the OHC inline 6 Pontiac to the 454 Chevrolets and 455 Olds, Buicks and Pontiacs.
Yeah, getting these Holley gaskets off was a nightmare. Left the parts for a few days soaking in my ultrasonic, and were still a bear. Qjets can be a good carb, but many have become bitsers over the years. Once different from their original calibration, they are a crapshoot. The influx of chinesium kits hasn’t made the situation better. Good quality parts from someone who knows them inside/out is a must.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Q-Jet is an Excellent Carb, provided it is unaltered from it's OEM Specs, unless the Tweaker, really understands the Q-Jet. Few People have any Real Clue as to how it reacts to Mods, because a tweak in one spot can, and will affect other parts of the Fuel Delivery Curve

ScottinAZ

thats the thing with ANY carburetor... finding one unmolested is about as rare as balls on a rocking horse... for the Qjet and 2jet, we are at or quickly approaching 40 years since the last ones rolled off the assembly line. A Holley you can get brand new still, but finding someone who TRULY knows what they are doing when tuning one, and not just winging it (and there is an element to that anyways) is even more rare. Some of us tinkered with these damn things when we were kids, but at the time, every corner speed shop had jets, and the spec sheets were a bit easier to find. Once you get a couple of rebuilds in, can anyone be sure that someone somewhere didnt put the wrong gasket in, with "bigger is better" jets, metering rods that dont match, or are just worn out... the list of faults can be endless. Couple that with substandard parts that arent even close to what they are supposed to replace directly, and you have a recipe for a nightmare.....

this is where the hatred of carburetors comes in.... Myself, give me a set of points, and a "good" carburetor, and I can make it run, and keep it running long past when your EFI has crapped out every sensor, and is useless. I doubt in 20 years we see the "revival" shows like we do now with "modern" engines.... Hell VGG tried to revive an early 80's 8-6-4 Caddy with the original injection, and failed miserably to get it running (not that they ran great when new....) but the obsolescence catches up with electronics faster than good old dribblebox carbs.....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Carbs, are easy to Troubleshoot, and repair. same goes for Point Ignition. Electronic Ignition and EFI are wonderful, until they aren't, and they are extremely difficult to Troubleshoot unless you have Tens of Thousands of Dollars in Dedicated/Proprietary Test Equipment, or just want to throw Parts at it until it is fixed

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And for those of us that are a certain age learning how to set up a points distributor & clean & tune a carb was like a rite of passage into adulthood if you were a Motör head.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
And for those of us that are a certain age learning how to set up a points distributor & clean & tune a carb was like a rite of passage into adulthood if you were a Motör head.
and you remember Thurl Ravenscroft as the voice of Tony the Tiger, Charles Kuralt on the road and Walter Cronkite stating thats the way it is.

face it Lou...... we be vintage