hot water tank

vipzach

Lieutenant
I need a new hot water tank. :( The old one has decided to start leaking on my floor. :mad: :mad: The old one is 30 gallon electric, I have plenty of space and I am planning to put in a 40 gallon tank (electric). You guys have any suggestions as far as brand? What to stay away from or what to look for in the new one. Thanks Zach

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: hot water tank

Here's an answer to a question you didn't ask: :) <br />Whatever brand, make sure it has an accessable sacrificial anode so you can inspect or replace it every year or two. Pipe the tank in with shutoffs near & on both sides to facilitate the inspection.<br /><br />The glass lining will always crack, and the tank will always rust. Therefore the heaviest (thickest) tank is the best, and maintaining the anode will keep any tank alive far longer.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

They're all pretty much the same in my opinion, I wouldn't sweat the details. I recommend you check with your electric company and you might get lucky...for example mine gives away 50 galloners for free, or you can get an 80 gallon for $80. It's their incentive to keep people from switching to gas. They also service and repair them for free.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sure like my PowerStar AE 125 tankless water heater. It takes up virtually zero room - about 15" square and 4" deep - it hangs on the wall in a pantry closet. Since it has no tank, it heats water only when we turn on the hot - as long as the hot is on, we never run out. Kinda convenient when the admiral runs her bath and immediately after I jump in the shower and have endless hot water. Costs more initially but in the long run should save buckets of bucks. Oh, mine's electric but they can be gas fired, too.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Size according to the size of your family. My 40 gallon has had a work out when all the kids were home. Nine of us in total. Sometimes we would run out, but the recovery time was about a half hour.<br /><br />My opinion is the larger tank equals a larger bill. Why heat that much water when you only need half of what is in the tank. Lots of pro and con on the subject.<br /><br />If you have copper plumbing, just make sure you install new die-elelctric unions on the tank. This helps prevent electrolysis which will pit you lines creating leaks. Sorta what the anode does that was mentioned in a previous post.<br /><br />Since it only my wife and I at home now, I have mine on a timer. It comes on in the morning at 5am and off at 6:30am, and back on at 4pm and off at 8pm. This cut our electric bill by about $50 to $70 a month.<br /><br />In this area RUUD, and White-Rogers is a big seller. Good Luck

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would suggest putting a drip pan under your new one when you install it. They're inexpensive and will prevent water damage if your new one springs a leak in the future.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You looking for a hot water tank? Or a cold water heater? :)