hot water tank smell/replacement

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Seaward F-600 water heater that is likely original to 2003. The water from it smells like rotten metal.

1) does this indicate that the heater has gone tango uniform? something else?
2) any experience with Kuma vs Seaward brand water heaters? there seems to be a ~$100 price difference.

alldodge

Staff member
The rotten egg smell is from old water not being flushed out. Take a mix of bleach and water and fill it up. Cap the lines off so it doesn't get into the rest of the system. Bleach can be hard on pump vanes and seals. Run the boat around getting into some bouncing. Drain, flush with fresh and repeat once more for good measure

Can also use peroxide instead of bleach

aspeck

Staff member
Old water smell is tough to get out of the lines. You may have to do alldodge's proceedure a few times to clean the heater and lines out.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Also depends on what type of water was put in the tank, if it ever had egg water in there, that can be tough to remove. Have the same issues with my motorhome. As mentioned, the bleach flush will help, but it might take a couple times. If your not gonna use the tank for a while, empty it or add a couple spoons of bleach in there

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks for saving me hundreds! what a great community!!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
One of two things. Either your domestic water system needs carefully dosed and chlorinated…or it’s coil has perished and polluting from the closed or raw cooling system. If you have closed, does it smell of coolant or antifreeze or have you lost or gained any coolant 😂.
Other than that…it depends on what side of the two water sides you are looking at (if it’s heated off the engine system at all…perhaps it’s just electric ? Could be to do with that ?