Hot Tub on a 32' Bayliner - Issues/Ideas?

highamperage

Cadet
Ok, so I was thinking, you know what would be nice? A hot tub on my boat. I have a 32? Bayliner Conquest, with a pretty good sized rear deck area over the engine compartment.

I was thinking I could use one of those two person hot tubs, probably an inflatable one. Or if I want to go on the cheap, a low profile inflatable pool.
I think I could use one of those propane fired instant hot water heats to provide hot water, from the lake.

The question is, the hot tub holds around 180 gallons of water, safe estimate 1450lbs. Can I put that much weight on the back of the boat without creating a swamping/stability issue? Bear in mind I wouldn?t be underway with this, and I feel like swamping wouldn?t be an issue because right below that there is a 200gallon fuel tank and water tank, nearly empty. But, the fuel & water is at a lower center of gravity?. so stability remains a concern.

What about the structure? I question its ability to support that much weight, although it would be spread out and I could add some supports.

What do you guys think?

If it doesn?t seem safe, I can use an inflatable tub and just let it float in the water. :) Eitherway, should be fun.

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: Hot Tub on a 32' Bayliner - Issues/Ideas?

180 Gal. = 1440Lbs. Plus the weight of the tub, plus the occupants.

Stick 8-9 200Lb guys in the cockpit and see how it goes. I have to admit, that seems like a lot of weight. I'd be concerned about whether the hatches could hold that much weight. Then of course, what do you do with the thing when you're not using it?

I wouldn't do it, but what the heck do i know?

highamperage

Cadet

Yeah, I doubt the hatches would like that. I'd have to build some frame to distrubute the weight...

lol! 8 or 9 200lb guys does put things in perspective. I don't know how that would go. I doubt it would sink but if any problem occured it would certainly make it worse.

As for what to do with it, that is why I was thinking the inflatable route would be good.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

hummm............
Take your idea a step further or in another direction.....................
How about a"floating" hot tub ?
Like a big round tub with a foam ring around it to keep it barely floating.
You would be a babe magnet at those raft ups parties we have down here on the remote barrier island beaches.

hostage

Lieutenant

hummm............
You would be a babe magnet at those raft ups parties we have down here on the remote barrier island beaches.

Was going to suggest something similar, if it is an inflatable hot tub, couldn't you just attach it to the side of the boat. The tub should displace enough water to stay buoyant

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FYI, most (if not all) hot tubs that have a capacity of over 3 people draw a LOT of current; so much that usually a special unit (GFCI) must be used.

Unless you will be using this in line with your hydro source (assuming that you are using hydro from a place like a marina) then you will need to keep at least one of your engines running to supply the load which is usually 30-50 amperes; to further this, you would need to invert 12V to 120V or 240V depending on the hot tub.

I have a 120V 3 person hot tub that takes 120V and only 15A but it sounds like you want something bigger for better occasions :)

Regards,

E.

JasonBo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That made me think what would my 20ft bass boat look like with my pool waterslide going off the bow. I think it would fit.

beckspop

Seaman

I like the cut of your jib...

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I have had a lot of weight in my 28 for special charters. I had to start the motors and leave them run all day to keep the water out of the engines.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You've got serious weight, stability and structural concerns that you just can't overcome on a boat of that size. Adding in the weight of deck support and enough batteries or a generator to power the thing will just add to your woes.

IMO this isn't a good idea from any standpoint. Either buy a boat twice the size, or leave the hot tub on the dock.

(it's an interesting idea, tho :) )

My .02

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

How about buy a dead 'toon with no motors and put it on that with a genny for the heaters? Add a wet bar and a couple of anchors. Tow that sucker out there, I'd be happy to raft up!:D

dwco5051

Commander

180 Gal. = 1440Lbs. Plus the weight of the tub, plus the occupants.

Stick 8-9 200Lb guys in the cockpit and see how it goes. I have to admit, that seems like a lot of weight. I'd be concerned about whether the hatches could hold that much weight. Then of course, what do you do with the thing when you're not using it?

I wouldn't do it, but what the heck do i know?

Wouldn't 15 or 16 bikini clad young ladies do? That is how I would check it out:p

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a bad Idea to me. However I do like the pontoon idea, hell I bet that would be awesome.

-Dan

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yeah, you would need one serious heater for it to work. It would almost surely need to be a propane heater and a big one. I doubt there is any kind of electric heater you could find that would do the job AND fit on your boat.

You could always just run the raw water exhaust into your tub! That would get your temperature half way there at least. It might stink a little, but it's a small price to pay. :)

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

hummm............

How about this?
http://www.rivermarine.com/yachttub/Yachttub page 1.htm
YACHTUB.JPG

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Here's one already done. It's a Four Winns 365 with the hot tub option. Clever marketing for the boat show circuit but not practical in reality.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/2041228960.html
Text: "FourWinns 1992 365 Vista, 39'9" LOA. 13'2". Twin 502ci ,7kw westerbeke gen. Large roomy interior, aft. cabin. Factory HOTTUB in V berth. Two cedar lined closets. All electronics. Heated stored. Barrior coated hull. Fiberglass stringer system. Many, many options and upgrades, too many to list. Truly outstanding condition. Must see to appreciate. Motivated seller, !!!!!!REDUCED PRICE!!!!!! eMail for all the details."
Quote from a different owner of this model (from another forum) "It uses shore water to fill since the boat cannot move when being used in this configuration "spa mode" Also the A/C cannot be used because the spa uses about 20 Amps to heat the water plus pump it through the heater."

Here's another one- a home-made 'floating hot tub'.
Apparently some guy built it, then docked it at his condo.
HotTubBoat3.jpg

HotTubBoat1.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Awe come on guys, this is so Miami Vice!!!(The series, not the movie)

:D

dvandsm64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

another concern with the heating is how long would it take to get 180 gallons of water to @100 degrees farenheit? i would guess it might take @ 24 hours?

Brewman61

Ensign

Most hot tubs are heated electrically, and the heater would require more current than you're likely to be able to generate- 220V is pretty common, you can get 120V heaters, but they take forever.
Not sure how much propane you'd need if you could even rig something up like that. I don't think you'd get much out of a standard #20 grill tank.
It would take considerable BTU's to get 200 gallons of water to 102 degrees and keep it there.
If you do figure this out, I'd be very curious on your approach and actual results.