Hot hose going into water pump.... 4.3

moparron

Seaman
Okay... so I fixed the oil leak, fixed the choke stove.. .now I notice that when running the motor on muffs that the hose going into the water pump is hot? That should be cool water from the impeller.... goes in water pump and out thermostat? So why is that hose getting hot? Or am I now over thinking everything and just looking for stuff to be broken?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
there is no hose that goes into the water pump.
UntitledWP4_zpsvanygu53.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's normal for that hose to get as hot as the engine gets and yes it does go into the water pump. In the picture, it's the hose going into the left of the water pump.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The Big hose, the one that's important to Drain when winterizin', carries hot or mixed water,....

Never lake cold except at start up,.....

Most goes out the exhaust,....

moparron

Seaman
Yup that hose. For some reason my brain says that should be cool... lake water cool. water goes into pump, pumps through block - out thermostat to exhaust. I thought it was simple, but it's either too simple for me to wrap my head around or I am thinking backwards?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That water hose comes from the thermostat to the pump - its temperature is SET by the thermostat.

The hose that's comin in from what looks like nowhere, with the elbow over the top of the port side exhaust riser - that is incoming cold water from outdrive. The thermostat mixes incoming cold with hot engine water to maintain ~150ƒ going to the water pump.

Excess/uneeded water is sent to the exhaust manifold from the thermostat housing.

Last edited: