Hot air balloon lands on my property

Tyme2fish

Commander
This is the second time a hot air balloon has landed on our property. What are the odds for that happening?
The first time was 25 years ago or so and I've gotten a lot more crotchety, "Get off my grass!!" since then.
I decided I was going to mess with the pilot this time and said to him, "I guess you don't care about property rights, trespassing, and violating a person's privacy." The pilot was wary of me but did treat me with respect and apologized for the inconvenience. I then changed the scowl on my face to a smile and let him know I was just jerking his chain.

So here's my question. Could I have charged him a fee for allowing the chase vehicle access to my property to retrieve the offending balloon?

Attachments

• photo318272.jpg
    photo318272.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo318273.jpg
    photo318273.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 0

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
Airports charge a landing fee, I don't see why you couldn't get away with that.

Glenn

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You could have asked for a free ride in it ! :eek: :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You should be soaring with the birds in your new balloon. :D

And doing seagull stuff on those below! LOL

82rude

Rear Admiral
I would never even consider charging someone in a case like that.Its just wrong.Now asking for a possible future free ride might of been a plan:)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Trespass fee or a future ride fee for the wife an me would be the way to go!

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
The custom is to bring a bottle of wine to the land owner. not sure about the FAA safty regulations in reference to baloons today. Baloon landing may be grandfathered in and you may have no say so anyway. When a plane emergency landed in my friends field he was not compensated for the corn that was destroyed. I am not a lawyer, the only thing I plane is on the water.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The custom is to bring a bottle of wine to the land owner. not sure about the FAA safty regulations in reference to baloons today. Baloon landing may be grandfathered in and you may have no say so anyway. When a plane emergency landed in my friends field he was not compensated for the corn that was destroyed. I am not a lawyer, the only thing I plane is on the water.

Back in the day that I maintained my pilots license we were told in and emergency we were cleared to land anywhere it was safe as long as we were not jeopardizing others.

64osby

Admiral
Years ago a balloon landed at my sister's place, a mobile home in a mobile home park. It was quite a tight fit between the cars and trailers. My sister wasn't too happy, but she did smile when her Doberman chased the pilot up on one of the cars.

I assume it was not a planned landing site, more of an emergency. On three sides of the park there were wide open farm fields.

Tyme2fish

Commander
We picked up a 7 month old unaltered male blue heeler on Friday evening. We had him confined on our rear elevated and enclosed deck when he suddenly started barking ferociously.
I dashed outside to see why he was alerting. Nope no critters in the back yard. That's when I saw that he was barking at the eave of the roof. I thought maybe a squirrel was up there. I stepped further out on the deck and looked upwards and yep, there was another darn hot air balloon floating overhead.
This one made no attempt to land and was a couple hundred feet up..

Pic of new dog.

Attachments

• photo318597.jpg
    photo318597.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 0

Tyme2fish

Commander
A balloon landed on your property! Oh, the horrors!

An 80ft. balloon, 1 pilot, 4 passengers, 1 SUV chase vehicle, 1 trailer, and 4 grounds people. One time is all oohs and ahhs. Second time is a pain in the rear.
Maybe you like 9 people and assorted gear being on your property uninvited but I don't.
If you still think it's OK give me your address and myself and 8 friends will trample your grounds uninvited and unexpected and I'll wait for to you ooh an ahh while we hold helium balloons.

I won't offer Champagne but I will bring the bourbon.

dwco5051

Commander
We picked up a 7 month old unaltered male blue heeler on Friday evening. We had him confined on our rear elevated and enclosed deck when he suddenly started barking ferociously.
I dashed outside to see why he was alerting. Nope no critters in the back yard. That's when I saw that he was barking at the eave of the roof. I thought maybe a squirrel was up there. I stepped further out on the deck and looked upwards and yep, there was another darn hot air balloon floating overhead.
This one made no attempt to land and was a couple hundred feet up..

Pic of new dog.

We used to have a lot of balloons going over one of my properties and it used to drive my German Shepard nuts. I think the roar the burners made upsets dogs as he would start looking up and barking before they even came into sight.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I was going to post an answer then I remembered I vowed when this social media thing came out not to answer anything that had to do with Law or Medicine. People go to great efforts in education for a decade or more to that exact thing so I don't have an answer. However I do know that here in Canada an aircraft or boat may use your land, beach or dock without fee to land or moor in an "emergency only" without permision. Not because it is convenient. There was a similar case on our dear friend "Judge Judy" the small plane landed in a farmers field and ruined some of his crop of beans, a strip a few acres long. He got 5 grand for damages even though it was an emergency. Damages are damages emergency or not.

We have had a helicopter land in the big field behind us maybe 50' away. That was cool. It was our next door neighbour Jim's son who is a hilo pilot. I hope he is because he was driving the thing. They are louder than on TV I tell ya'.

edit: Please disregard above, that is giving legal advice. I might call 911 and tell them there must be an emergency landing, have the Cops have them explain themselves. That is unless they landed on a crop of Ganga Mon.

Last edited: