Horrible grinding/crunching/vibration noise when turning. Not Gimbal or drive shaft

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
I thought for sure I had bad gimbal or u-joint but I finally got everything together and still have the same noise. I put new gimbal in, bellows, aligned drive and checked over u-joints really well. No play, no rough spots, just butter smooth u-joints and gimbal.
When the drive is straight I really can't tell if the noise is there, but after 1800 rpms I start to hear it, when I turn the wheel, it starts getting louder and louder until fully turned, and then it sounds like stuff is going to break. Starboard side not near as bad, but still there.
It's even worse if it's put in forward gear. I thought for sure something ws going to blow when I revved to 2500 rpms.
Could the u-joints be bad and I just don't know it? Is the top of drive shot? I drained the oil and had just a little metal dust on the upper and lower plug magnets. Oil looked like new.
The drive is almost fully trimmed down when I do this.

Please help!

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is this on the water ? And could it be your trim/tilt rams making the noise

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
Is this on the water ? And could it be your trim/tilt rams making the noise

No, it's on the trailer.
Tell me more bout this as I am having problems with my trim pump/rams making a ratcheting noise going down. Fine going up. How could the rams make noise?

89retta

Not sure on the rams. Have someone hold their hand on the top of the drive where it pivots as well as the bottom. Perhaps those bearings are gone

89retta

If you could post a video. That would be helpful

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
If you could post a video. That would be helpful
10-4 I will get one tomorrow.

I used a screwdriver to my ear and it really seems like it's coming from the u-joint area.
I've read a few threads around the "internets" that claimed their u-joints looked and felt perfect, yet they were bad.
Thanks for following me along on this, much appreciated!

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like needle bearings in u-joints. Not hard to pull outdrive. Wondering if the horrible noise changes if drive is in turn position and then you trim up or down. This of course changes the u-joint angles and thus rotation speed. While you are tuning or when the outdrive is in a turn position (as opposed to straight with keel).?

Last edited:

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like needle bearings in u-joints. Not hard to pull outdrive. Wondering if the horrible noise changes if drive is in turn position and then you trim up or down. This of course changes the u-joint angles and thus rotation speed. While you are tuning or when the outdrive is in a turn position (as opposed to straight with keel).?

I didn't try to trim. I should have.

I pulled the driveshaft and have been trying to figure out what's wrong with it. With the noise I heard, I thought for sure they were grinding against each other and I would see something, but these u-joints are flawless.
The only notable exception is the u-joints are like "wet noodles". Really move freely, where as the new driveshaft joints I bought are "tight". I figured it's just loose because of being "broken in".
I did notice some fresh scraping on the driveshaft where it rides on the gimbal. It it possible the shaft is "spinning" out in the bearing?

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ran across this while printing some material for my boat. Thought it might be helpful to you.

My Clymer manual states-as pertaining to the universal joints:

REMOVE PROP FOR THIS

"In normal staright-ahead operation...makes very little noise. Changing direction [either way] will increase noise level from the universal joints, but should not be objectionable. If u-joint noise is suspected attache a flush test device and run the engine at idle. Have assistant turn the drive from port to SB while you listen for noise at the u-join housing. Any unusual noise during this test indicates universal joint wear."

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
video attached. I posted in other thread as well in case it gets missed.
New driveshaft assembly, new gimbal, aligned but heavy spline marks on the starboard side of the alignment bar. Can still push and pull with two fingers

Last edited:

89retta

Hard to hear with the engine being reved. You should just let it idle. The only grinding , scraping noise I heard was at the beginning. And it was the skeg scraping on the pavement.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
Hard to hear with the engine being reved. You should just let it idle. The only grinding , scraping noise I heard was at the beginning. And it was the skeg scraping on the pavement.

It doesn't make the noise without being above 1500+ rpms.
The real killer sound that makes me not want to use my boat is around the 30 second mark when I trim up. Reminds me of a skillsaw blade cutting real thick lumber.

89retta

I listened to it again and it sounds like connecting rod knock.

89retta

I was going to ask you that. Perhaps pick up a used drive and replace the one you have.