Hook in the hull! Please elaborate.

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see this term on here occasionally, usually when talking trailers. What does it mean? I dont see a hook in my hull. does that mean that it is worn and I should get a new hook for it? Just kidding! I assume it is some type of hull deforming, but anyone who has an oppinion please explain. Maybe a what, a how, prevention, repairing? Thanks in advance. I will just hang up and listen.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hook in the hull! Please elaborate.

A hook in the hull is a deviation from a perfectly straight line from bow to stern. Some manufacturers put a hook in the hull to minimize porpoising. Boats that live on trailers sometimes develop slight deformities due to the rollers.

45Auto

Commander

Hook or Rocker is NOT something you want your trailer to put into your boat for you! If the hull was not designed to have any Hook or Rocker, a very little bit of either can seriously degrade the handling and performance of your boat.

Some manufacturer's will have a very SLIGHT amount of Hook or Rocker designed into their hull to emphasize certain performance aspects (or more commonly as a band-aid to try to save a bad hull design).

hook2.jpg

rocker.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The first boat I ever owned was a wood outboard with a big motor. It was the max for that boat. One year late in the fall, the last time out for the season, in my haste I cranked the boat too far on the trailer and the transom ended up an inch forward of the last keel roller. Took the boat home, winterized it and didn't notice the problem.

Even though the hull was fully supported by side bunks, the weight of the motor pushing down on the keel caused a hook. That did awful things to the performance - after that we couldn't run full throttle any more.

Can't emphasis enough the importance of proper support on the trailer.

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I would assume that damaged bunks or mounting hardware forbunks or rollers could cause the same type of damage. just added some new checkpoints to my pm inspections.