Hontoon Landing in Florida?

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone been to Hontoon Landing in Deland, Florida? It's on the St John's river. We were thinking of trailering our boat there and staying in one of their cottages and spending a couple of days there. I've never been and hoping someone can give me their opinion of this place.

Thanks,
KWB

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hontoon Landing in Florida?

really depends on what you like to do. fish, cruise? it is not in the large wide part of the St Johns. there is some barge traffic, carrying oil to the Sanford Power Station

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you can wait until Mid October, you could join a bunch of us, at Astor, not much further that Hontoon.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have stayed at Hoontoon landing twice and brought boat both times. The river is scenic and nice change of pace (we in Tampa Bay). Not a ton of things to do on river except cruise (limited dining etc.) but for us that is part of the charm since it is much more congested where we typically boat.

TilliamWe

Banned

The Winter Haven Nautical Club goes there a couple times a year. They seem to like it. I have never actually been there, but I think that stretch of the St. Johhs river is definately worth cruising. Silver Glen is a nice place to stop (when it's not crowded) too.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

really depends on what you like to do. fish, cruise? it is not in the large wide part of the St Johns. there is some barge traffic, carrying oil to the Sanford Power Station

I boat the St Johns 2 or 3 times a week and havent seen a barge in 20 years.

Hontoon is close to Lake Beresford, Lake Monroe, Lake George, Silver Glen, and about a half dozon restaurants within an hour.

I am planning on meeting up with the folks in Astor in October too. Cant wait.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We have stayed at Hoontoon landing twice and brought boat both times. The river is scenic and nice change of pace (we in Tampa Bay). Not a ton of things to do on river except cruise (limited dining etc.) but for us that is part of the charm since it is much more congested where we typically boat.

You just gotta find the restaurants. There is Wolfy's on Lake Monroe, Captains Cove just north of Lake Monroe, Swamphouse in Debary, Shady Oaks and Bonnie's in Deland, Castaways and Blackwater/Williams Landing in Astor, and if you wanna go a little further into Lake George, which I have not done, there are more on the north side.

I dont personally now too much about the accomodations at Hontoon, but there is a lot to do, especially if you are there over a weekend. Silver Glen is a place where everyone gets together, and unless its a holiday weekend, it is pretty tame. No alcohol is permitted in the park, but people have figured out how to get around that, so holidays do get roudy. People also get together on a sandy area on the river South of Lake Beresford.

You wont be bored or dissapointed unless you are being stupid and attract the attention of the multiple FWC officers out there.

robert graham

Admiral

We've been spending several days there every year for 10+ years and it's a wonderful place, nice and clean, very quiet with a nice swimming pool, gas, ice, etc., Blue Springs State Park just a couple of miles up river to visit and swim in the springs, Highbanks Marina and Restaurant maybe 5 miles, great food with live entertainment, Sanford is maybe 15 miles and makes a great day trip, Hontoon's is definitely in the the most beautiful, unspoiled part of St. Johns River. Hontoon"s rooms are about $100/night, but during the week you get 2 nights for $100, so we take advantage of that whenever possible. You'll love the place. Tell April Robert Graham said, "hello". Good Luck!

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh and if your gonna be in town, and we are gonna be on the water, we can show you a few places. Shoot us a message when you are planning your trip.