honda four stroke

ksanksan

Seaman
so i bought one through ebay-- it's a 45 hp bf45a with power tilt and trim and electric start. it was primarilly used in salt water a few years ago, (in storage since) and if possible i would like to do what i can to maximize it's life. it will never be run in salt water again by me. it has not been run yet so i would appreciate you experts telling me what i should do as a pre-curser to getting it running again.<br /><br />thanks,<br />ksanksan

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: honda four stroke

Replace the water pump impeller before you run it. They have a shelf life whether they are used or not and yours is due. Then you won't have to worry about it for ~2 years. Change the crankcase oil, and the lower unit oil, grease the fittings and go boating. It is also conceivable that if it doesn't run well the carbs may need to be rebuilt because of sitting for a while.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

All previous advise is golden.Get a water separator and install it as instructed.Sorry moderators but I have not had good experiences with used engines sold online.Good luck brother .I'll help you all I can.

ksanksan

Seaman

dummy me-- what's a water seperator? and where do I get one?