Honda expert,, what does fuel chamber do?

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was given a 15 hp Honda OB that went swimming, I have it back up & running fairly good. I see it has a thing called a fuel chamber & I have no clue as to what this part does, could someone pls educate me as to the function of this chamber, I'm thinking it may need to be drained if water could have got in there? thanks kodi.

kodibass

bf15dko- BALJ I am unsure of the year as I don't know how to figure that out for Honda motors.

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe referring to fuel float chamber that is part of carburetor, and yes, it's always a good idea to drain it occasionally to clear it of water, debris, whatever....should be a small brass drain screw on the side/ bottom of carb....put a rag under it during removal so when you drop it, won't get lost down in motor cowling somewhere...

kodibass

No not the carb bowl, this item is well below the carburetor & looks like a large fuel filter, but is not a filter as it has the filter on the input hose just before the fuel pump' it is made of metal and is called a fuel chamber it is connected by two approx. 3/8 inch fuel hoses below the carburetor and can only be seen by removing the lower cowling.. thanks

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
A fuel chamber is the item between the fuel pump and the carburetor to minimize vaporization during and after hot starting and help ensure a stable supply of fuel. As the temperature of air within the engine cover rises, the temperature of fuel in the chamber also rises.During hot starting, there is greater difference in temperature between the carburetor which is still warm and the fuel in the fuel tank, increasing the likelihood of vaporization in the system. In the fuel chamber, fuel from the tank mixes with the fuel still warm in the chamber. As the fuel mixture is warmer than the original fuel from the tank and is closer in temperature to the carburetor, vaporization is less likely to occur.

Last edited:

kodibass

Hondam Thank you for the very well explained reply, I just have never run across one in my outboard tinkering, So when I got this Honda and it had one I was lost to what its function was, Great to know will help me in the future for sure. kodi

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I guess hondam described what could be called a Vapor Lock Eliminator. VLE sounds sexier than fuel chamber. :smile.

kodibass

Yep' as I try to learn these things I'm sure I come across as a simpleton but I have to ask as I am kinda alone here on a island off the coast of Alaska , Not to many folks around here that have the hands on knowledge, thank goodness for this wonderful site. kodi