Honda 75HP starts with smoke

serge

Cadet
My 1997 75HP starts well but some times a very dense light blue<br />almost white smoke commes out. One the engine running, there is no more smoke<br />while fuel floats on the water.<br />This doesn't happen every time. It happens mostly When the engine is running for<br />a while below 3000rpm. After 100 hours maintenance the problem seems almost no more happen.<br />Starting with much gas seems increasing the problem.<br /><br />Any idea ?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Serge

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 75HP starts with smoke

Trim the engine out a little before shutting it down.This is a vertical crank engine and oil can puddle in the cylinders if gravity allows it to do so.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

I had the identical problem on my 90hp. Got to the point where I didn't want to start it when people were around. This usually only happened when the boat hadn't run for the day. I contacted Honda and they claimed it shouldn't happen and asked me to take to any dealer for investigation. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it either and the boat has never done it since. I did hear an idea of a sticky valve during this process from several sources. <br />When I look back though I do see a correlation between how I stored the motor of trailered it. When I had a slip, I kept the motor up out of the water and when I trailered it, I used the locking bracket on the motor. In other words, I kept this motor almost horizontal when not in use. surprisingly, no one ever asked me this. Maybe 4 strokes were to new back then (2000). Since that time, I have installed a transom saver on the trailer and have never tilted the motor out of the water when not in use. I haven't seen a puff of smoke in three years. This may be in fact the problem as already suggested. Try it.

Skinnywater

Commander

Even a thimble full of to much oil, will also cause it to smoke on start up.