Honda 10 HP Idle and Overheat problems...

RBaumann

Recruit
Hello,<br /><br />I got an older (red/white blue top) 10hp/ 4 Cycle OB from my brother-in-law...which has been sitting for 3-4 years. I took off Carborator and with the help of a nice Honda dealer guy, got it cleaned pretty well (float de-stuck)with Carb. cleaner (lots of gunk) and I replaced gasket to engine (but not the rubber o-ring seal), as well as the fuel filter, plugs and brand new gas... And tried it out. It worked but would not idle in low...The guy told me he set one of the two screws on the carb. to 2 1/4 turns, as per the specs...but the motor will not idle below the 'Start' position...I fear I might not put on the throttle rod properly positioned, or that the other screw thing on the carb. also needs adjusting... also I was able to kick it into gear (slight jolt) and run it for about 30 min. but I think it overheated...and would not restart after this...after letting it cool I was able to run it back to the boat ramp. When running a hose into it with a special adapter thingy (when out of the water) water seemed to flow through it and came out two holes above the intake as well as the left side near the propeller...but after starting it out of the water, air or mist mainly came out of these holes, and not a stream of water?...is there some sort of water pump which may be out...I know I need to get a manual, but any ideas? Thanks.

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Honda 10 HP Idle and Overheat problems...

You should have a steady stream of water from the tell-tale hose in the cowling. Could be a stuck thermostat, or bum impeller. Since you probably don't know when the impeller was last changed, replace it. You need to get that manual before tearing into it, though.

RBaumann

Recruit
Re: Honda 10 HP Idle and Overheat problems...

Hi Fouled Plug,<br /><br />Thank you for the reply...I am cleaning the carb. more thoroughly and having the impeller replaced via my local dealer...thanks again.