Homeowners Insurance - who do you like?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Homeowners Insurance - who do you like?

It is done. I stayed with Amica and got my premium reduced by going to a $1000 deductible

What was your deductible before? I've been at $2500 forever otherwise the cost is way up there. $1000 deductible given the value of the home and that I would never consider making a $1000 claim doesn't make financial sense for us.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

It was $500 as long as I've been with them, 8 years.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

State Auto has low deductable but 25 yrs ago they even paid you for the loss of the tree . Which now they just pay for the cutting and the fridg,guns, jewels , cash isn't that much unless documented, and delux premiums . Havent heard anybodys Travelers complaints.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

For those that are in the Great State of Texas, I recommend a comapny called RVOS. the rates are hard to beat because they are a mutual company. If you cannot insure with them then I would go to Travelers. My Father was an agent for both for over 25 years and those are the comapnies that he recommends and is insured with RVOS.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

That to me is a crazy, low deductible. Even 2,500 that we have seems too low.

I chose that deductible for a variety of reasons when we signed up. Different circumstances now, but $1000 fits our current situation.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I chose that deductible for a variety of reasons when we signed up. Different circumstances now, but $1000 fits our current situation.

IIRC the 2500 was the highest deductible I could get. Funny, where houses are concerned I feel like I wouldn't consider a claim unless it was pretty bad like a broken hose that floods or a roof from a storm or similar so I figure I'll just pay the large deductible. With my cars though I like to keep a low 500$ deductible. I feel like a homeowners claim especialy something not an act of god will screw you at renewal but everytime I've made an auto claim, there's always a company out there that will offer me at worst rates as expiring and at best lower. I wonder if my common sense about homeowners claims is correct..in other words I wonder how the HO underwriting guidelines look.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I've been with Allied for several years now as they are one of the few companies willing to insure the farm and all the equipment, autos, trailers, boats and of course the house. Can't complain too much about their service or willingness to step up when needed. Annual cost for everything is just shy of $1700 with a $500 deductible on everything. That includes a half million umberela policy that was added because I bundle everything with them. All in all, no complaints other than cost. In town it would be a lot cheaper but as I am 17 miles from the closest fire truck and water hydrant my home is given a 10 rating (1 to 10 with 10 being the worst.)

Note: My business insurance is not part of the bundle, I have a different outfit for that.

Interesting, just my homeowners with nothing else and that 2500 deductible is more than your whole package and I'm in what would be considered a nice area and the firehouse is about 3/10ths of a mile away with no claims that would be considered in underwriting. As I have a life insurance policy with them I do get the multi policy discount as well.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I wonder if that is due to the cost difference in a house. A home here (rural MO) is worth (cost) three or four times as much in a large city / high density area? (You would be SHOCKED at what $100K will buy here.)

Auto accidents (other than wildlife) are so rare I can't remember the last time I seen one. That has to make a big difference too.

Must simply be the insured value. When you think about it you get what is known as a low 'rate on line' when under 2 grand can get you a million or some other large amount of coverage both liability and property. In other words a lot of limit for not much money. I think the only truly inexpensive insurance I buy is my boat insurance liability and property coverage including the trailer. The only one I feel as though doesn't cost a ton. Of course the offset is by the time they make it out of storage you turn around and have to put them right back in.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Indeed, a $100K house (here) vs. $300K+ somewhere else.

Think the insured value on the house is somewhere around $656,000 plus contents and liability. I need to revisit that number as well at renewal.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have USAA for everything. Service is great. However they're just like everybody else when you make a claim. Had to have a roof replaced due to hail a couple years ago. Our premium went from $300somthing to $700 something. I'm damaged goods now so even if I shop around I still get quotes of $700something so I stick with USAA.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have USAA for everything. Service is great. However they're just like everybody else when you make a claim. Had to have a roof replaced due to hail a couple years ago. Our premium went from $300somthing to $700 something. I'm damaged goods now so even if I shop around I still get quotes of $700something so I stick with USAA.

Thats how it is for our auto insurance after my wife rolled her SUV a couple years back. Of course it was a total loss and a big insurance pay out. I was expecting a massive renewal increase so shopped it ahead of time and Progressive which was our current company only went up 10% but everyone else quoted much higher. We are damaged goods where car insurance is concerned. It's going to take many years to make up for the SUV payout.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

When I was getting quotes, one question was either whether we made any claims in the last 3 or 5 years, depending on the company. You might want to shop around again when another year or two has passed. That's quite an increase.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wife and I are using Sig Sauer & Glock which seem to be very effective insurance ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thats how it is for our auto insurance after my wife rolled her SUV a couple years back. Of course it was a total loss and a big insurance pay out. I was expecting a massive renewal increase so shopped it ahead of time and Progressive which was our current company only went up 10% but everyone else quoted much higher. We are damaged goods where car insurance is concerned. It's going to take many years to make up for the SUV payout.

Yeah I supposed I shouldn't complain. Got a $6k quality architectural 35 year roof to replace a builders grade one + over $4k of damage to one vehicle and $1.5k to another all covered quickly and painlessly. Gonna take a while to pay that back at less than $400 (increase) a year. Car insurance rates didn't change and are still quite good.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Yeah I supposed I shouldn't complain. Got a $6k quality architectural 35 year roof to replace a builders grade one + over $4k of damage to one vehicle and $1.5k to another all covered quickly and painlessly. Gonna take a while to pay that back at less than $400 (increase) a year. Car insurance rates didn't change and are still quite good.

Our only ever homeowners claim was a new roof, plus a bunch of copper roofing back when commodities were expensive during the housing boom in late 2007, plus all new siding, and a bunch of ancillary stuff that the hail destroyed. It was a big siding job since I paid for the upgrade to Hardi and the roof was a pain too since no crew wanted to tackle the pitch (14/12 and 12/12 and house is 46 feet tall). I forget the total dollar amount now but it'll take us a couple lifetimes to pay it back in premiums. I could swear that being it was a storm that we didn't get dinged for it at renewal. Interesting how I hear people complain about insurance and I've had only good luck all these years for all of my different insurances when I needed them. The funny thing about the whole job was the metal roofer that was to install the copper roof, quoted the job but didn't buy the copper roofing thinking he could make money expecting the price to go down he had plans to arbritrage apparently. By the time it came time to do the copper portion of the roof, there was a huge spike in the cost and he ended up having to eat a huge loss when he tried to renig on the written contract and of course I wouldn't let him back out. Insurance companies, pretty professional....roofing contractor not so much. The siding contractor on the other hand was single handedly the most professional, best service I've ever experienced in my life. They sided the house like I would do if I did it myself.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

We have Erie for our auto and homeowners insurance. Guaranteed replacement coverage, $500 deductable and $1M per person liability is $825 a year.

Our auto insurance is another $2,200 a year for four vehicles and a teenage driver.

Their boat insurance was crazy priced and sucked.