home made outboard motor bracket

Re: home made outboard motor bracket

Im very sorry to have to say this. You ask about my military disability bando? I realy feel uncomfortable telling a stranger what ive gone through and how it affects my life right now. I was in the marines for 10 years. there was a horrible accident and i should have died. I dont sleep and when I do I have nightmares that wake me up. I lost my best friend. should have been me... please no questions about my disability. I am again very sorry to come across like this but I cant live a normal life. I use fishing to cope with this. I spend all my time either fishing or doing research about my boat and fishing. Sorry bout the all that no disrespect twords you. I do appreciate all the info and ideas about my boat. I took some pics of my boat but have trouble downloading them. I havnt started my pod yet. this cold weather is keeping me inside. deck space is the main reason for putting my engine outside the boat. theres not much fishing room with the motor compartment in the way.The idea of buying a doner boat has crossed my mind. but id stil have a box in my fishing area. the pod is also a flotation device that holds the weight of the motor so the boat doesnt point up in the air as the boat site still. There are a lot of compenys that make this pod But there thousands of dollars. the tests theyve done with the pods show an increase in speed and fuel milage.

I may have took that message the wrong way. If i did I feel pretty bad for it. Im not very good with people.I am pretty withdrawn from people. I was under the understanding he was asking about my disability.Believe it or not ive had people mock me n make fun of me, acting like I was some kind of wierdo. I figure the less people know about me the less ill have to put up with. now about my boat. I am aware of all the issues. There is very little fishing room in my boat with the motor there. if it werent for that id put a mercruiser in in. i know im going to have to disassemble the boat and rebuild it as if it were an outboard boat. I know once im done ill never need another boat. user67847_pic38720_1235689424.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Im very sorry to have to say this. You ask about my military disability bando? I realy feel uncomfortable telling a stranger what ive gone through and how it affects my life right now. I was in the marines for 10 years. there was a horrible accident and i should have died. I dont sleep and when I do I have nightmares that wake me up. I lost my best friend. should have been me... please no questions about my disability. I am again very sorry to come across like this but I cant live a normal life. I use fishing to cope with this. I spend all my time either fishing or doing research about my boat and fishing. Sorry bout the all that no disrespect twords you
I appreciate where you're coming from and also greatly appreciate your past service & sacrifice.

iboats isn't 'just' the #1 site for everything boating (as the iboat's logo above suggests). Take a look thru this thread, and you may get a better sense of who 'we' are. It may not change your decision, but I think it speaks VOLUMES about the fella's hanging around in here. And reflects the caliber of character of the moderators (mods) that oversee the forums. Bondo is 1 of those mods. There is also an announcement thread for Don's passing:
The passing of Don S

That thread further shows the character of the fella's @iboats, the mods & regular guys like me.

I took Bondo question to mean what (if anything) needs to be done to accommodate your comfort while using the boat, not to specifically discuss your disability. I work for a non-profit that works w/ all levels of disabled persons (from slight to significant: physically, mentally, developmentally or emotionally) and from experience, some are more capable of certain tasks then others. If I can reasonably accommodate them &/or work towards a workable solution, many of my clients can do significantly more then they or those that know them expected, but I (we) need to know at least a little about what their needs are.

If you don't care to confide in the open forum, I'd recommend you read thru a few of the posts by a couple different mods, and discover 1 that you might consider like-minded to yourself, they are a pretty diverse bunch. Then send them a private message (PM), and discuss anything of concern. If you then become comfortable enough to discuss any accommodations you'd like to incorporate into your redesign of the layout, I think you'll find the iboats mods & the crowd @dry dock to be a fairly good bunch that can help flesh out that design & make it workable etc.

I also understand that it's ^^^ not necessarily something you'll want or be able to choose to do now. But I do encourage you to give it a good bit of consideration.

You're right next door in Ohio, feel free to PM me anytime, for any reason, boat related or not, even if you don't see my little green light on showing that I'm online @ the forums. I'd also be willing to send you my non-iboats contact info, feel free to use it anytime as well.

I do appreciate all the info and ideas about my boat. I took some pics of my boat but have trouble downloading them. I havnt started my pod yet. this cold weather is keeping me inside. deck space is the main reason for putting my engine outside the boat. theres not much fishing room with the motor compartment in the way.The idea of buying a doner boat has crossed my mind. but id stil have a box in my fishing area. the pod is also a flotation device that holds the weight of the motor so the boat doesnt point up in the air as the boat site still. There are a lot of compenys that make this pod But there thousands of dollars. the tests theyve done with the pods show an increase in speed and fuel milage.

All that ^^^ sounds like a good reason to move the motor to an outboard pod. It will however move the motor further away & harder to access from inside the boat. As do the youtube links you posted. Just know that not all boats are going to be sound enough to pull the I/O, fill in the keyhole & bolt up an OB bracket. It may take a far amount of work to ensure the transom & stringers were sufficient, and I probably wouldn't build the interior deck framing out of dimensional 2X lumber, w/ minimal glass work at the joints only (as the last video poster did).

Thank you again for your service & your sacrifice, and have a great Thanksgiving week.

John

Bondo

Staff member

You ask about my military disability bando?

Ayuh,.... I'm sorry, my question is/ was 'bout yer Physical limitations,..??
Yer reasons for removin' the I/O, possibly for better access, as in a wheelchair,....

I've seen 'bout a dozen hulls swapped to outboards, only 1 was successful, 'n it has Alot bigger outboard than yer thinkin' of,...

At this point, I'm still thinkin', goin' back with an I/O is the best bet, or if ya go outboard, ya need a Bigger 1,...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

thanks for responding. Right now it has an old omc outdrive that has the square rubber boot and a 305 chevy with a cracked block. I am going to put a new very heavy duty transom on it. .

Yep, you would have to re-do the transom anyway if that's ^^^^ your current set-up... So, your choices are newer i/o set up or an outboard pod/bracket... I don't have any personal experience with conversions. I've just read what some of the pros (like Bondo) have said that sometimes people aren't happy with the performance. There's a lot of discussion on the topic. Also, here is a thread where I think the owner was happy with the results of his OMC i/o to outboard conversion...

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...ffshore-3-0liter-omc-suzuki-df140-516113.html

As others have said, thanks for your service...

my limitations arnt physical. I think i just might do what you guys are sayin. put the origional strait six back in it. but fix the transom for mercruiser. thanks for replying back bando. Im sorry about that.

one of the things that stumps me is if i do put a mercruiser back in how will i know where to put the new hole in the transom so everything lines back up?

jbcurt00

Staff member

The template for the Merc keyhole is obtainable, and can be used to layout & cut the sized correct keyhole.

Dig thru the Mercruiser forum, it has lots of good info, that you can be familiarizing yourself w/ all that needs to be done while searching for a good Mercruiser driveline. Pay attention to Don's 2 stickie threads at the top of that forum: Adults Only & Must have info.

I looked for about 10min & didn't come up w/ a link to a template for the keyhole. I know it's available & I know I've posted &/or linked to it before, but sorry my search & find ability is over tired I guess. I'll keep digging, but know that it IS available. Bondo may have access to it quickly....

You need to fill the existing hole in the fiberglass & replace the wooden transom as you mentioned earlier when you were going to use a bracket or OB pod, so not really any more work.

The final thru hole thickness needs to be 2-2 1/4" to get good sealing from the transom plate & gasket and must be FLAT & perpendicular to the centerline of the boat. The existing transom should be at 90*, but demo, fiberglass grinding & prep, laminating the plywood together, wrapping it w/ new glass & gluing it into the hull all needs to maintain those flat & perpendicular conditions. Sounds difficult & time consuming, but w/ attention to detail & some patience, it can be done.

It has been done quite a bit. Low cost fiberglass I/O often have the OMC white leg of death hanging out the back.

As an obsolete drive, it has value if it's in operable condition. Get it cleaned up, removed & for sale online, asap. Someone will want that unit to fix their's or to have as a backup outdrive, and late Nov is going to be prime winter project planning in NW Ohio.

Have a good turkey day tomorrow.

Last edited:

Thank you very much for that info. I have found some good used engines and outdrives pretty cheep.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Let me tell you a secret........ there are MANY disabled vets here and we all fully understand (myself included with 20 yrs active duty). I guess you can consider this a bunch of people who have experience and are actually looking out for your welfare and trying to help keep your wallet safe now and in the future.

With the help of these people here.....you will be guided through the rebuild. That's a real nice boat you have and when it's completed you will be proud of the work done. It will be actually better then new.

Yup, I would flip that outboard........ hint - you will get better money for it in the early springtime. Just consider this a great planning time.

I surrendered my project boat for the winter and have it upside down in my yard covered in snow..... I feel your pain about the winter.

Finaly warm enough to go outside and took some pics of my boat

Trying to upload pics from my phone to my post. Bear with me.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Have you tried using the Photobucket phone app?

I haven't but I know that some do & think it makes pix posting easier.

i finaly figured it out

Attachments

• 20131203_144112~2 (1).jpg
    20131203_144112~2 (1).jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
should i use epoxy resin to repair my old polyester resin boat

should i use epoxy resin to repair my old polyester resin boat

I am restoring my 1966 john allmand ticonderoga. I want to make her better than she came from the factory. Ive been planning on using mas epoxies on her hull and transom repairs. Will this cause any future problems? I want her to last forever. I plan on using interlux interprotect on the hull and interlux perfection topside paint.

Attachments

• 20131203_144018.jpg
    20131203_144018.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20131203_144112~2 (1).jpg
    20131203_144112~2 (1).jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: should i use epoxy resin to repair my old polyester resin boat

Re: should i use epoxy resin to repair my old polyester resin boat

I am restoring my 1966 john allmand ticonderoga. I want to make her better than she came from the factory. Ive been planning on using mas epoxies on her hull and transom repairs. Will this cause any future problems? I want her to last forever. I plan on using interlux interprotect on the hull and interlux perfection topside paint.

Ayuh,.... You have a restoration thread goin',.... Use it, insteada startin' more threads,....
It keeps yer Info together, 'n cuts down on confusion,....

It's yer boat, if you wanta spend the extra cash on epoxy, go for it,...

Yer boat was built with Polyester resin,...
Polyester resin is All ya need to rebuild it as well,...
But again, it's Yer boat, 'n Yer choice,...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Restoring my 1966 john allmand ticonderoga

Re: Restoring my 1966 john allmand ticonderoga

If you use epoxy anywhere the you intend to re-gelcoat, it is difficult (at best) to get gel to adhere to epoxy

Epoxy has longer cure times (typically) then polyester resin which can make doing vertical surfaces more difficult and takes longer to do multiple layups so it's more expensive in both time & materials. Don't use hardware/big box store epoxy, it's more expensive by the gallon & you'll need more then one 5gal I'd suspect.

Several members are currently rebuilding w/ epoxy, so do make an informed decision & proceed :) Poke around using the advanced search feature at the top of every forum page, you should find lots of info, pros & cons from other builds, and see some epoxy restos underway.

Either way, poly or epoxy, you'll have lots of help.