home defense gun choices?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Get an ar 15 light recoil no penetration. An AR is a perfect home defense RD when it hits drywall it disintegrates and women can shoot them all day long. Pistols are hard to shoot ARs are easy good enough for the troops good enough for me.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Get an ar 15 light recoil no penetration. An AR is a perfect home defense RD when it hits drywall it disintegrates and women can shoot them all day long. Pistols are hard to shoot ARs are easy good enough for the troops good enough for me.

My father was a commander in the Sherman tank during WWII and Korea, it was a great tactical and defensive weapon the served him well though that, would be a little impractical to keep in the bedroom though.

My line of defense thinking;
1. dogs, loud and mean
2. Escape route
3. Cell phone
4. When all else fails, last resort, fight by whatever means necessary, to the death if need be.

I have been reading the articles about the minimum round the FBI considers acceptable. That's well and good for them. I am not in the Law enforcement position of having to go into a gun fight with an armed assailant that is shooting at me from a block away, hidden by cover and where I have to be aware of innocents that my be in the line of fire from both sides. Or who may be wearing protective body armor.

If that were the case then as MT states I'd be looking for a 45ACP or a 44mag.

In practical thinking I see it playing out more like this. Intruder has made it's way into the house and past the dogs, I would be taking cover in a closed door room with cell phone in hand. Intruder would be firmly warned that I am armed and do not enter. Upon an attempt to enter a shot would be fired thru door. In my mind that would be enough to at least stop them and make them consider if it's worth entering. This now becomes a siege/standoff. If intruder still insists on getting to you then a handgun most likely will not save you from harm because they are determined to get to you at all cost..

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Want to have fun with an AR, you can scare the heck of them if you have bump fire stock on the rifle and don't care about what you tear up!, we have been able to attain about 900 rounds per minute playing with them, so you could tear some things up, but it is no more accurate than a real machine gun, in fact, I am sure I can shoot my M16 more accurate than my AR!

thumpar

Admiral
Want to have fun with an AR, you can scare the heck of them if you have bump fire stock on the rifle and don't care about what you tear up!, we have been able to attain about 900 rounds per minute playing with them, so you could tear some things up, but it is no more accurate than a real machine gun, in fact, I am sure I can shoot my M16 more accurate than my AR!
I have an EOtech 554 (military spec version of the 552) on my AR. It is very accurate.

The pistols are my first line of defense with the AR available if it gets bad. That would at least give me enough cover to get to the others. I have kids in the house and carry the LCP in my pocket so I don't keep one in the chamber but have practiced enough to be able to rack the slide or charge handle on all my guns that it wouldn't slow me down.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have an EOtech 554 (military spec version of the 552) on my AR. It is very accurate.

The pistols are my first line of defense with the AR available if it gets bad. That would at least give me enough cover to get to the others. I have kids in the house and carry the LCP in my pocket so I don't keep one in the chamber but have practiced enough to be able to rack the slide or charge handle on all my guns that it wouldn't slow me down.

I was joshing a bit, I would never consider an AR inside my home for defense, I will stick with my .45, I do have a couple of 20 gauge shotguns with buckshot as well that are real nasty, but I can normally do what I need with the .45 and where I live, the possibility of a home invasion is pretty much nill, I am more likely to run into a bear or a moose than I am a crook.

thumpar

Admiral
I was joshing a bit, I would never consider an AR inside my home for defense, I will stick with my .45, I do have a couple of 20 gauge shotguns with buckshot as well that are real nasty, but I can normally do what I need with the .45 and where I live, the possibility of a home invasion is pretty much nill, I am more likely to run into a bear or a moose than I am a crook.
I agree that the AR is not the best for home defense. It would easily go through multiple walls. Not a bad thing to have though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I assume you are replying to my post. Glocks are striker fired. With any striker fired pistol the gun is never in a cocked position. There is no hammer to ****. A glock is just as a "safe" as a revolver. The gun simply will not go bang unless you pull the trigger. You can throw it off a bridge, drop it from a building, use it to hammer a nail. It wont go bang unless the trigger is pulled.

I do understand and know all about striker fire and transfer bar fire and most every type hammer/seer mechanics there is out there. But if a pistol is cocked, that means the firing mechanism and seer are setting mere thousands of an inch from starting the entire firing sequence that can't be sopped once started. If you have ever done any trigger work or taken apart guns in general, you will understand what I am talking about. A hammer and seer engagement are only hanging be less then a person's fingernail thickness when ready to fire. Carrying in such fashion doesn't excite me and I will use a DA/SA setup OR slide the slide when needed. That's my call and I am not on any bandwagon for others to both understand and/or follow my opinion. If you feel confident carrying cocked and loaded, have at it. I won't. I won't put my life or anybody else's on a mere thousands of an inch piece of metal. JMHO!

bigdee

Commander
I do understand and know all about striker fire and transfer bar fire and most every type hammer/seer mechanics there is out there. But if a pistol is cocked, that means the firing mechanism and seer are setting mere thousands of an inch from starting the entire firing sequence that can't be sopped once started. If you have ever done any trigger work or taken apart guns in general, you will understand what I am talking about. A hammer and seer engagement are only hanging be less then a person's fingernail thickness when ready to fire. Carrying in such fashion doesn't excite me and I will use a DA/SA setup OR slide the slide when needed. That's my call and I am not on any bandwagon for others to both understand and/or follow my opinion. If you feel confident carrying cocked and loaded, have at it. I won't. I won't put my life or anybody else's on a mere thousands of an inch piece of metal. JMHO!

I feel exactly the same and I have to agree with gm280. The surge in more people carrying concealed makes this an even more valid point. I carry DOA because even though I keep one in the "pipe" it is not cocked until I pull the trigger a significant amount. If you carry a SA uncocked you either have to **** the hammer or rack it which takes time AND two hand if you rack. The other alternative is to keep it cocked and like gm280 said,unsafe. I feel safe and secure with a DAO, chambered and safety off....no way it can accidently fire and I can draw and fire faster than you can draw a rack a SA.

thumpar

Admiral
I feel exactly the same and I have to agree with gm280. The surge in more people carrying concealed makes this an even more valid point. I carry DOA because even though I keep one in the "pipe" it is not cocked until I pull the trigger a significant amount. If you carry a SA uncocked you either have to **** the hammer or rack it which takes time AND two hand if you rack. The other alternative is to keep it cocked and like gm280 said,unsafe. I feel safe and secure with a DAO, chambered and safety off....no way it can accidently fire and I can draw and fire faster than you can draw a rack a SA.
I pocket carry all of the time and sometime carry IWB with my 9mm. I would not trust just a safety in the pocket. With young kids in the house I keep them unchambered for safety. They know not to touch them but you can never risk it. My LCPs are DA/SA with a VERY long trigger but I still don't chamber them.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I carry one in the pipe I am not going to waste my time racking the slide. Keep your finger off the trigger and don't point at what you don't want to shoot. The AR is awesome home defense 55gr 2000+ ft pr sec pretty much disintegrates in a wall. How is it unsafe but you will shoot a .45 or a shotgun full of buckshot in the house wonder what has more wall penetration.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I carry one in the pipe I am not going to waste my time racking the slide. Keep your finger off the trigger and don't point at what you don't want to shoot. The AR is awesome home defense 55gr 2000+ ft pr sec pretty much disintegrates in a wall. How is it unsafe but you will shoot a .45 or a shotgun full of buckshot in the house wonder what has more wall penetration.
When you pocket carry and need it fast you don't know what you are grabbing on a small gun, you pull it as fast as possible. That is why I don't chamber it.

Shoot some steel with an AR with a FMJ bullet. It goes clear though 1/4" with no problem and keeps going. This is standard ammo not even SS109. Drywall is not going to slow it down.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Fellas, please read Bonz posts, he's not in favor of an AR. It is his preference thats important in aiding his choice of weapon.

As he's ruled it out, any AR discussion isnt relevant, nor is trigger pull, mics between firing pin and primer, conceal and carry preferences or to chamber a round or not.

And he's repeatedly said its just him, the Admiral and the dogs in the house.

Gun topics ~ worse then what's the best oil or how bad ethanol is topics :rolleyes:

Come on spring ice out

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I have 3 ARs I am very familiar with the Ar the FMJ is not the only rd available to you. The FMJ ammo is equivalent to blazer for my 9mm good enough to shoot a target with and not much else. I have a question for you if you don't know what you are grabbing in your pocket what if you grab the wrong thing and pull to hard. I seriously recommend a good holster. Just some advice from a concerned fellow gun owner.

thumpar

Admiral
Fellas, please read Bonz posts, he's not in favor of an AR. It is his preference thats important in aiding his choice of weapon.

As he's ruled it out, any AR discussion isnt relevant, nor is trigger pull, mics between firing pin and primer, conceal and carry preferences or to chamber a round or not.

And he's repeatedly said its just him, the Admiral and the dogs in the house.

Gun topics ~ worse then what's the best oil or how bad ethanol is topics :rolleyes:

Come on spring ice out
+1 We need summer.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
just thinking out loud - this discussion makes me realize I'm never wanting a shoot out at the OK Corral, cos it isn't OK. I'm not trained for such a battle, though I "think" whomever intruded would be on the losing end, I had rather avoid the risk.
I'm not interested another monthly bill for some generic home security plan; maybe something self-contained I could install myself that runs on an alternate power source. No weapon in the world will protect me if I haven't been alerted somehow. If I have been alerted, my vote is with a 40cal. That's my carry weapon - Taurus Slim, no recoil and will knock your teeth out, not mine :D

thumpar

Admiral
just thinking out loud - this discussion makes me realize I'm never wanting a shoot out at the OK Corral, cos it isn't OK. I'm not trained for such a battle, though I "think" whomever intruded would be on the losing end, I had rather avoid the risk.
I'm not interested another monthly bill for some generic home security plan; maybe something self-contained I could install myself that runs on an alternate power source. No weapon in the world will protect me if I haven't been alerted somehow. If I have been alerted, my vote is with a 40cal. That's my carry weapon - Taurus Slim, no recoil and will knock your teeth out, not mine :D
Check out arlo. It is a completely wireless camera system that works on motion and has night vision. I get notifications on my phone and email whenever there is motion. I can watch the videos from anywhere on my phone. You can run up to 15 cameras on it.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought my wife a 38 special, with a 2" barrel, and no hammer. Nothing to hang up coming out of her purse or anything else. No big kick in case you miss the first shot, just keep shooting. Easily slows below lethal speed after wall penetration. I believe a small hand gun, or shotgun is the best weapon for HOME DEFENCE with your neighbors safety also in mind. The AR 15 is for Isis, XX XXXX XXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXX XX XXXX XX XXXXX XXXX XXXX.

MOD EDIT - One way to get this thread closed or posts deleted is by bringing up one of the magic words.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I bought my wife a 38 special, with a 2" barrel, and no hammer. Nothing to hang up coming out of her purse or anything else. No big kick in case you miss the first shot, just keep shooting. Easily slows below lethal speed after wall penetration. I believe a small hand gun, or shotgun is the best weapon for HOME DEFENCE with your neighbors safety also in mind.

Yes the neighbors. I have homes within 25' on both sides of me and I'm pretty certain they wouldn't want rounds coming thru their walls and windows.

I don't have a problem with revolvers as I've shot thousands of rounds with them. It is the wife that prefers a semi-auto. I do not want a compact pistol with a very short barrel for a number of reasons. Size, weight, barrel sight line and have no intention of concealed carry. I do not prefer a large frame either because of Size, weight, and calibers. We both have smaller hands. I am not new to shooting though the wife is. Biggest concern is with getting her comfortable handling a gun and feeling confident that she can control it.

For these reasons is why I've decided to look at the 380 cal. as there are a good number of medium framed guns to look at. Also because of the scenario I but forth earlier I much more prefer a semi with a double stack magazine with 13 uneven rounds.. I have used revolvers with speed loaders and in this situation I would rather not have to worry about opening a cylinder and reloading. I certainly wouldn't want her to either.

I too know my area and neighborhood. The odds are that a home invasion will be by an unarmed burglar than a crazed rapist or armed psycho. When it gets to the point that the odds are for the latter 2 then it's time to move.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sounds like a good choice for your and the Admirals needs.

Any indoor ranges offering a 380 nearby?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I, like so many others, like the idea of having a lot of rounds. But honestly, if you are ever in such a serious situation, one or two shots is probably all any of us would ever really need. You either hit your mark, or everybody would be running off after the first shot. Just my simple thinking. :noidea: