hole in lower unit

bigskydrift

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just returned from the lake, on the way home I had my 2.5 Nissan kicker in the bed of the truck, had tried to pad it for protection on rough road....anyway when I got home I went to put motor on rack and noticed a small hole in the side of the lower unit, slowly leaking oil. Checked it out and still quite a bit of oil in unit, must have happened after I took it out of the water. Whats the best way to repair this? Thanks!

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: hole in lower unit

Are you sure the hole is not suppose to be there? Some small engines have a little hole on the lower unit to drain all the excess water out, otherwise you can close the hole with pretley steel if it isn't suppose to be there, not sure if you get it in the US but it is 2 tubes that you mix together to create a silver like glue that sets really hard ....

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's a bleed hole for the motorleg. It lets the water back out of the housing. The oil is unburned fuel/oil that wasleft inside the housing while it was running. It's normal.

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, it is normal for oil to leak from this hole? I hae a small puddle under the outdrive. It doesn't seem right.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If the oil is gear oil it is abnormal and it is an indication of a leak in the gearcase housing. If the oil is black it is unburned fuel/oil and is normal for all two-stroke outboards.