Hole in Head

71whaler

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1983 75 HP Evinrude. The powerhead was rebuilt three years ago when I purchased the boat and a used head was installed. Since then I have used the boat apprioximately 2-4 times a month pretty much all year around. Always flushed with freshwater after running. Recently the motor was sluggish and bogging on initial acceleration and stalling occasionally when going in gear. I also noticed that the top speed was down 5 knots or so (tach does not work). I pulled the plugs and noticed water on the #2 cylinder (middle cylinder). I ran a compression test, #1 120 psi, #2 90 psi, #3 120 psi. I took it back to the mechanic who did the rebuild and he said there was a hole in my cylinder head and it would need to be replaced.

My questions, what could of caused this and is his solution ok? That is should I/he be searching for a cause? Water pump works fine but is 3 years old. Engine did not overheat as far as I know, that is no alarms, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hole in Head

Did he say there was a hole in the cylinder head or in the cylinder? Or did he maybe say the cylinder head gasket had a hole in it?

How old is the used powerehead that was put on?

71whaler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I thought it might be the head gasket when I pulled the plugs but He said that it had a "hole in the head" and not the head gasket. My understanding is that it is the cylinder head. The way he is talking is that it really isn't to big of a deal. Get a new "used" head and put it on. he is searching for one now.

The entire powerhead was not replaced 3 years ago but a new pistons, clyinders rebored, and a new "used" head installed. Also the carbs were cleaned and a new water pump put in.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, if it is a "hole in the head", he made a pretty good guess. Much more likely is a blown head gasket or leaking exhaust cover gaskets. My money is on the latter. The water is squirting into the exhaust ports. Water has damaged the cylinder and piston, causing low compression. NOT a good situation.

EDIT: If it were not for the fact that you have run it 3 years, I would have asked if he removed and checked the exhaust covers when he did the rebuild. This could be the same thing that caused the need for rebuild the first time and was not addressed. However, since you got 3 years out of it, I'll let him off the hook.

Last edited:

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I would like a better explaination of hole in the head,is he sayingthat in the water passages there is a hole,and,it is leaking water into the cylinder,ive seen the sealing surfaces get a groove and that happen,but mostly onthe block side,he may very well be right,if anyone else reads this,please tell if there is a problem with these heads ,I never heard of it.I would be concerned about the exhust cover gaskets as mentioned,those older engines were notorious for the gaskets blowing ,especially after overheating,or aging,they have very little surface area for sealing