Holding tank odor issue

We are having a problem with odor (outside) when flushing the head. It is embarrassing, to say the least. We have tried flushing out the tank and that does not seem to resolve the problem. We do use chemicals for odor, etc. We did not have this problem initially with the boat. Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas on what the problem might be. <br /><br />Thanks!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Holding tank odor issue

The odor is not in the tank if you flushed it out.It is in the hoses.If you scratch your fingernail on the outside of one of the hoses and you can smell the odor in question on your fingernail,that means it is time to replace the hoses because they are permeated.They sell hoses now that dont permeate.You an always try the quick fix which most do not recommend but I have done it with some success.Flush a few gallons of bleach through the bowl and pour a gallon through the waste port .It is important to flush some water through the bowl after the bleach .Let it sit for a little while and empty the system.Make sure you are well ventilated while doing this.Its worth a try,just be careful with the bleach.Charlie

sporter

Cadet

Originally posted by weloveboating:<br /> We are having a problem with odor (outside) when flushing the head. It is embarrassing, to say the least. We have tried flushing out the tank and that does not seem to resolve the problem. We do use chemicals for odor, etc. We did not have this problem initially with the boat. Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas on what the problem might be. <br /><br />Thanks!

sporter

Cadet

If you are smelling the odor while outside the boat I would think it is metnane gas coming out of the vent, not the hoses. I had this problem while using some environmentally safe odor control (bacteria of some sort), I changed to Thetford's with formaldehyde(Wal-Mart)and it has helped.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Charlie,I have the same problem,and thought of bleach,it won't damage the plastic will it?<br /><br /> Thanks<br /> Jim

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

It can damage it but if you rinse some fresh water in the bowl and give it a good flush after you are done it will be ok,or at least mine was ok.You dont want to do this all the time or leave the bleach in for more than 15 minutes or so.I did it twice and the second time I ran just enough water through the bowl to do a slight rinse,I emptied the tank after about 1/2 hour and I did not rinse until the next day.I also sprayed some bleach on the outside of the hoses.I dont think it totally cured the problem ,but it made it 1000% better!!! Charlie

salty87

Commander

fyi...not that CC doesn't have it covered, but if you haven't seen it, that other website (boatered) has a board for these types of problems....marine sanitation and plumbing....

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Charlie, I'll give a try.If I leave the door to head closed in hot weather,it smeels like a litter box in there.<br /><br /> Jim