Hitch rattle with outboard on transom

chrisj13

Cadet
I just purchased a 12' aluminum klamath trailorboat with a 5.5hp ted williams outboard. Towed it to the lake once, and the trailer hitch rattled around so much it drove me nuts. (From the weight on the rear of the boat.) Seems the weight on the transom also bent the eye bolt that the ratchet strap attaches to, causing it to come unwound. When I took the outboard off and towed the boat, no problems at all.
I have since junked the TW engine, and have replaced it with a 15hp Evinrude 2 stroke (long shaft). I have about 5" of clearance between the skeg and the road, so I built a wood stand and put the 'rude in the bed of my pickup to transport. I'm afraid of what the additional weight back there might do while towing. Any suggestions? I can rig the engine to have enough ground clearance, but what do I do about all that weight/leverage on the transom bouncing around? The boat is rated for a 20hp engine, so I'm not overloading it...
A transom saver isnt the issue here, I think it's having to much weight on the back and not enough on the tongue. Is just a stronger Ibolt the answer? open to any ideas...

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hitch rattle with outboard on transom

Sounds to me like you need to balance out and get more tongue weight. Can you adjust your winch stand to move forward some? Do your bunks currently extend all the way to the transom (or are they a little short)? Or, can your axle be moved back?

Alternatively, could you put your boat's battery(s) and/or fuel tank(s) in a more forward part of the boat?

I'm a little confused about what it is that bent or broke and why...does it seem like your transom is flexing? Do you have the transom strapped to the trailer?

Some pics of your rig would be very helpful.

robert graham

Admiral

Sounds like you need to adjust your boat/trailer rig to increase tongue weight to about 10% of total rig weight. Can you slide boat forward by a few inches? A 50lb. sandbag in front of boat might help, if adjustment is not possible. With too little or no tongue weight your rig won't trailer right and the tongue could bounce up off the ball and lose your rig going down the highway!... Good Luck!:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A device called a "transom saver" (affectionately called a "motor deflopperizer in this forum) would work well for. It allows the motor to remain on the boat, tilted up as far as you need and then secured. One end of the unit fastens to the trailer, and the other to the lower unit with a bungee cord. this ties the engine, the boat and the trailer together as one single unit. WARNING HOWEVER: You MUST use transom straps to hold the boat firmly to the trailer. No question about that. It is a must!

chrisj13

Cadet

You all are exactly right...my tongue weight is way to light. The coupler is pulling up on the ball when it is hitched. Also, the bunks on my trailer don't extend all the way to the transom. They stop about a foot or two short, and the only way I secure the rear of the boat is with a ratchet strap across the rear seat area. (From side to side of the trailer, if that makes sense.)
A 50lb sandbag may be in order.
To clarify a little bit: On the front of the boat is an I bolt, that the strap from the ratchet attaches to. (To pull the boat into the V notch.) The other day (with the small ob on the transom) that I bolt got "opened up" from all the bouncing going down the highway. Instead of a circle, it's now a "J" shape.
I can't move the ratchet mount on the trailer, it's welded on. The rear axle seems far enough back, so moving the axle doesn't seem like a viable option. I'll attach some photos later.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

your trailer is not big enough for your boat..... If you can't find a way to support the transom and get enough tongue weight then you need a longer trailer.

Also ditch the eyebolt for a proper bow eye

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Ac...67249--keywords.bow eye--**********.697797071

477.jpg
3670513c_2.gif

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Not doubting you, but look again at the winch post and see if it isn't welded to a plate that is then bolted down. If so, it could be moved forward a touch. Or maybe there is a way to move the V (bowstop) forward in relation to the post? Sounds like the bunks would allow for that forward movement.

As for the eye bolt...a proper u-bolt is better (edit: see previous post)

If the winch post really can't be moved, then maybe the axle really is not far enough back. Is that moveable?

All else fails, maybe the sandbag is the ticket. You could really fine-tune the weight distribution then. Just be sure another 50-100lbs is not going to overload your trailer (especially hubs, axle, tires).

I'd still like to see pics, I have a few more ideas but I'd need pics first.

scipper77

Commander

Sorry if I missed this as I skimmed some of the replies but...

Can you move the axle back on the trailer. I'd imagine that the trailer for that little boat is light enough to be picked up by hand. I know mine is.

Also, if we are talking about a rig that weighs less than 400 lb's with the trailer and motor (my 12' tinny does by a lot) I'd say this is a case where you can easily get away with adding some ballast to the front of the trailer. Just make sure that the boat is stable and secure when it is fastened to the trailer.

Also, a transom saver would be a little easier than rigging up an engine stand for the bed of the truck.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

take the motor off and lay it down in the boat.

Next?

LilRedNeckGirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one thing i would check before doing anything to the boat or trailer.... is the trailer tounge receiver, the right size and same size as the ball on your hitch?
Seems if the boat is on the trailer, and its strapped across the boat transom area, down to the trailer, and your pulled up snug to the bow berth in the front useing the loading winch, on a small boat, it should be secure. Bigger boats may require an additional strap that holds from the bow eye down to the trailer near the winch to prevent 'sailing' of the bow. That additional might solve your problem also as it may be lift, generated from the air as it rushes past the boat going down the highway. BUt first, I would check the ball and receiver size compatability, sounds like your tow ball might be one size to small.
I would also check, to be sure that the boat sets flat on the bunks. try loading it then remove all straps and lines. ( do it on flat ground !!!} now see if the boat rocks back & forth, or if it sets flat and snug. To bend the front eye tells me that there is a tremendous amount of flex somewhere, that shouldn't be there. the straps and lines only keep the boat on, the trailer should snugly fit the hull, and it should have no side to side or front and back wobble when its loaded properly.

chrisj13

Cadet

So I took the boat/trailer down to a welding/trailer shop and had them extend the tongue and move the boat forward. They moved it forward 2', and now I have ZERO problems towing. The outboard weighs about 90 lbs, and with all my weight on the transom (160lbs) the tongue still won't come up off the ground! By the time I load up the boat, I'm guessing the tongue weight will be just about right.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

good move, congrats.... anything on the bow eye?

scipper77

Commander

You have a 5.5 horse outboard that weighs 90#'s. That sounds like a lot of weight for a 12' aluminum. I guess that's another thread but I'd say my 5.5 is about 1/2 that and with my 200#'s and the gas can I have to add ballast in the bow (50# sand bag) to keep the freeboard at the transom at a safe level. Without the ballast water comes over the corner of the transom during sharp turns.

Glad you got the trailer squared away. Way to many people ignore proper trailer setup and maintenance. I'm one of them with my little boat. The wheels squeek when I turn so I figure I should clean and repack the bearings.