hitch angle

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Towing our 2000 Cobalt 206 with a 2007 Chevy Avalanche. In order to get everything sitting level when towing, I have to use a receiver that has about an 8 inch elevation. Problem is that raises the boat up too far to back it in the garage. The other receiver I have is a 2 inch drop down receiver that lowers the boat far enough to back it in the garage. How important is it to have the trailer level when towing? Is it a bad thing to have the front sitting lower? It is a tandem Elete trailer. Would prefer to use the drop receiver for obvious reasons but dont want to damage anything. The lake is only about 15 miles away if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Bill

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: hitch angle

I?ve read here that tandem axle trailers with torsion suspension should be towed as level as possible as the design makes them susceptible to overloading one of the axles. Also too much off level can prevent the actuator on surge brake trailers from sliding easily.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The ideal is to get it as level as possible. Is there no way you can get a drop to suit ???

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The 2 inch drop is the only one that will allow me to back it all the way in the garage. I will post some pics of both setups and let you guys decide if the drop hitch creates too much angle. Worse case scenario is I have to change receivers in the drive before backing it in the garage. Better than pushing it back in I suppose. ;)

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I now tow with an '08 Avalanche Z71 4x4. There is nothing on my rig that even the over cautious few in this forum could complain about . Same basic truck, comparable boat weights should equal similar results.

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I now tow with an '08 Avalanche Z71 4x4. There is nothing on my rig that even the over cautious few in this forum could complain about . Same basic truck, comparable boat weights should equal similar results.

What kind of receiver height do you use?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ever thought about a dolly to move it, into and out of the garage. if not change draw bar in drive way. tandem axles out of level, puts added weight on one axle.

reelfishin

Captain

A trailer should be pulled level, if it can't be perfectly level, then a slightly downward angle in the front is acceptable. A trailer pulled too high in the front tends to sway and can have issues stopping. I would set the hitch up for proper towing, not to fit your garage. If you need to lower the tongue to get in the garage, then look into either an adjustable hitch or just swap out the drawbar when you need to back it in the garage, or like TD says, maybe a trailer dolly and put the boat away that way.

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advice everyone. Going to the lake tonight so I will snap a photo before we leave so you guys can check out the angle. Dont mind changing the bar just dont want to unless I have to.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So..tell me if I have this right...the difference between the two hitches is 10 inches? If with the 8 inch rise, the trailer is level, there is no way you want to tow with the dropped hitch.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

So you are towing with a 8" elevated receiver bar on an Avalanche to get it level? Have you checked your tongue weight? Sounds like the rear suspension sure is squatting down for +/- 400 lbs..

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

So you are towing with a 8" elevated receiver bar on an Avalanche to get it level? Have you checked your tongue weight? Sounds like the rear suspension sure is squatting down for +/- 400 lbs..

Heck of a point there.

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First 2 pics are with 2 inch drop, second 2 pics are with 6 inch up. Its a 6 inch, not 8 like I thought.

Attachments

• hitch1.jpg
    hitch1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • hitch2.jpg
    hitch2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • hitch3.jpg
    hitch3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • hitch4.jpg
    hitch4.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

NADA shows your boat nets @ 3100lbs. Call it 4500 gross. S&K is towing with 550 tongue weight on a 2" drop with basically the same rig. I think your boat is way too far forward on the trailer. Might want to check it.

In general, you should have approx 10% of your trailer and boat weight (actual wet weight) on your trailer ball to tow properly.

Regarding your situation now- use both hitches- use the 6 inch rise to tow with and then switch in the driveway when you get home. I know it is a PITA but you should tow as level as possible so you are distributing the weight across the axles and tires.

salty87

Commander

pics don't seem that drastic. hard to tell the slope of the driveway though.

i think i'd flip the 2" drop over to make it a 2" lift and see if you can tow and get it in the garage that way.