Highway speed with 12" wheels ??

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Highway speed with 12" wheels ??

The ST tire spec says 65mph at maximum pressure and load. Up to 75mph is allowed if the tire is running at a pressure 10psi higher than the load table indicates. In a few rare tires (Carlisle Marathon to name one) you are allowed to exceed the max pressure on the sidewall by 10psi to achieve this. None of them are rated for more than 75mph over long distances.

The speed rating is a matter of heat buildup in the tire carcass. Its fine to go faster for 30 seconds to pass and then slow back down. The heat won't build up enough to cause damage to a properly loaded/inflated tire over 1/2 mile.

The tires that come with Harbor Freight trailers these days ARE stamped 45 on the 8" and 55 on the 12" tires. That has nothing to do with the trailer tire specification though. They are just substandard tires trying to avoid lawsuits. :)

bigdee

Commander

The tires that come with Harbor Freight trailers these days ARE stamped 45 on the 8" and 55 on the 12" tires. That has nothing to do with the trailer tire specification though. They are just substandard tires trying to avoid lawsuits. :)

I have 3 HF trailers that get abused and overload. Never had an issue.

jestor68

Commander

Wheels on my boat trailer are 480 x 12 (rather small) Have bearing buddies mounted. Is this trailer safe for long trips at highway speed ?
By long I mean 250 kilometers + return. And are all bearings the same or do I need those made for that trailer ?

Thank you all

Where I live, the speed limit while towing a boat is 55 mph; not that anyone pays attention to it, or it's enforced.

It seems like a reasonable safety recommendation. When your 18-20 inch tow vehicle wheels are turning 70 mph, how fast are those 12" trailer tires turning? It's like they're doing 90 mph.

Back in the day(when I was stupid) I had a blowout on my boat trailer at 70 mph. It wasn't fun.

younggun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have towed my 14 ft skiff on 8 inch tires 400 miles round trip to the coast several times. As stated before, it is about bearing condition and always have a spare just in case

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have made a 1500 mile round trip once a year on 8 inch tires for the past 34 years with no problems as far as bearings go. Did blow 2 tires when I tried to save money and bought cheap ones. Also, bent an axle once on a bad road. Do most of the driving on interstate at 70 mph.

BTW When I tried to take the tires back the guy I bought them from, he told me to "sit on stick and pretend your a Popsicle".

DLH