High voltage

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What sollusion shall I take ?<br />My 60HP Evinrude from 1990 gives me from 13,5V DC - 18,9V DC to my batteries.<br />The rectifier is OK, the batteries are OK, all cables and grounds are tight. (last month my fishfinder stopped working, maby becose of the high voltage ? )<br /><br />So what sollusion shall I take ?<br /><br />1. Let it bee as it is.<br /><br />2. Seperate one off the batteries from the motor, and then manual charge on this batteri, and keep this batteri only for my fishfinder and GPS.<br /><br />3. Install an 12VDC-12VDC 8 Amps converter between the rectifier and batteries.<br /><br />4. Install a RECTIFIER with Voltageregulator from an Evinrude 70HP or 60HP from later than 1992.<br /><br />5. ??????

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: High voltage

Kim, could you explain how the charging system is connected to the batteries? Might be something in the way the batteries are connected...sounds near like they are connected in series. Are you using a battery isolator?

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have two battery.<br /><br />1. 12V, 70Ah maintenance free marine battery.<br />2. 12V, 45Ah non-maintenance free car battery.

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey OBJ<br />The batteries are 100% sure not in series.<br />And I have installed a battery-switch between both + from each battery, and - is connected together.<br />The red wirer from my rectifier is connected to + at the 70Ah battery.<br />The other battery is only in spare (right now, I use the small battery for my fishfinder).<br />When motor is stopped, I have 12,6 V at the 70 Ah battery, and 16,8V at idle-speed, and 18,9V at apx. 3500 rpm. At full speed 5500 rpm, I dont know the voltage, but Ill I believe more than 20V DC.<br />Also I can read 16V AC at idle-speed between ground and the gray wirer to my tach.

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> Kim, could you explain how the charging system is connected to the batteries? Might be something in the way the batteries are connected...sounds near like they are connected in series. Are you using a battery isolator?
Hey OBJ<br />The batteries are 100% sure not in series.<br />And I have installed a battery-switch between both + from each battery, and - is connected together.<br />The red wirer from my rectifier is connected to + at the 70Ah battery.<br />The other battery is only in spare (right now, I use the small battery for my fishfinder).<br />When motor is stopped, I have 12,6 V at the 70 Ah battery, and 16,8V at idle-speed, and 18,9V at apx. 3500 rpm. At full speed 5500 rpm, I dont know the voltage, but I believe more than 20V DC.<br />Also I can read 16V AC at idle-speed between ground and the gray wirer to my tach.<br />I can find other members here at iboats Boating forum, there have the same high voltage "problem". And there was the answer "just", turn on your navigation ligt, and your voltage will drop.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Duke, What kind of fishfinder? How old? Was or should there have been a fuse between f'finder and batt.?<br /><br />I just installed new f'finder and it recommended a 2-4 amp fuse.<br /><br />Just curious :)

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would say #4 or add a regulator from an electronics supply house.

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello MCM and Tom<br />Never mind the fishfinder. I have new one and better one now.<br />But my old Navman Fishfinder, was only for max 16,5 V, and there was connected a 2 Amp fuse, and it was not gone. And also, high voltage will reduce the amp. just a bit. So a fuse will not help against high voltage.<br />I have just been reading the wirer-resistance from + at battery to red wirer at rectifirer, and from motor ground to - at battery. Both is less than 0,5 ohm. So this should also be OK.<br />So Im still wondering, why Im getting that high voltage.<br />Anyway the motor is running greate, but I did not look at my voltage before I did install my new Voltmeter last month. So I think the high voltage always have been there, or......?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kim,<br /><br />Have you verified that your new voltmeter is reading acurately by testing at the batt. with a hand held meter?<br /><br />Also when running 2 batts. I've read that they should be of the same series, not sure if this would apply to your situation, also unless you're running an elec. trolling motor or alot accessories what's the purpose of the second batt.<br /><br /> :)

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by MCM:<br /> Kim,<br /><br />Have you verified that your new voltmeter is reading acurately by testing at the batt. with a hand held meter?<br /><br />Also when running 2 batts. I've read that they should be of the same series, not sure if this would apply to your situation, also unless you're running an elec. trolling motor or alot accessories what's the purpose of the second batt.<br /><br /> :)
Thanks for your answer.<br />And yes, I have also verified the high voltage with my digital hand held voltmeter, same reading !!!<br />The second battery, is only a spare one, if the first one is flat. And I can read same high voltage even when both battery are connected together, or just one of them is connected.

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I have ordered 2 new battery, at same type ( 12V 60Ah Marine maintenance free ), just in case, that my problem is a bad battery. But I have a lot of power on my old batterys, so Im not sure, the new batterys will remove my high voltage.<br />Any other ideas out there ????????

dolluper

Captain

Here's some things to consider.After you are sure all your grounds "ARE GOOD"all connections are clean and tight everywhere,deck ,lights ,tach ,switches,and motor.<br />If too much current goes through a wire, it can overheat and melt. The amount of current that a wire can handle depends on its length, composition, size and how it is bundled. These properties affects the wire's current-carrying capacity: <br /><br />Length - Each type of wire has a certain amount of resistance per foot -- the longer the wire, the larger the resistance. If the resistance is too high, a lot of the power that flows down the wire will be wasted; the energy lost as heat builds up in the wire. Ultimately, heat build-up limits the current-carrying capacity of the wire, as the temperature must not get hot enough to melt the insulation. <br /><br />Composition - Automotive wire is usually composed of fine copper strands. Generally, the finer the strands, the lower the resistance and the more current the wire can carry. The type of copper used has an effect on the resistance of the wire, too. <br /><br />Wire gauge - The wire gauge, or size of the wire, also determines how much resistance the wire has. The larger the wire, the less resistance. The smaller the gauge, the larger the wire -- so a 16-gauge wire is bigger than a 24-gauge wire. Wire gauges go all the way down to zero, which is also called 1/0 (one aught). Even bigger than 1/0 is 00 (2/0, or two aught), and so on. The diameter of a 4/0 (four aught) wire is almost half an inch (1.27 cm). <br /><br />Bundling - The way a wire is bundled affects how well it can dissipate heat. If the wire is in a bundle with 50 other wires, it can carry a lot less current than if it were the only wire in the bundle. <br /><br />When a high tension electricity passes through a cable it builds up a surrounding electril field that frees oxygen into the surrounding ai r and it forms OZONE this OZONE attaches to rubber and will make rubber detearoriate

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well. <br />thanks anyway Dolluper, but back to the point, there is my high voltage.<br />Does anybody know if my high voltage is normal or not normal ?

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DHadley or J Reeves would know better than I but I believe that the voltage should never go above 16 volts @ WOT.<br />If the rectifier is good you need to look at the voltage coming into the rectifier from the stator. If it is too high the rectifier will just pass it thru.<br />Also check the resistance of the coil feeding the rectifier. I think it should read between 450 to 600 ohms for that year.<br />What is the model # of the engine?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Duke,<br /><br />Ive been reading through some old posts to see if I can locate anything that might help.<br /><br />What kind of bat. connectors are you using, wing nut or brass hex nut? if wing nut, replace them.<br /><br />What gauge cables are you using? they should be 4 gauge min.<br /><br />Also what does your manual say about battery specifications? I'm not sure a 70ah marine batt. isn't marginal and 60ah is too small, (bigger is better) also it seems that maintenence free batts. might not be recommended for some motors either, not sure if this applies to yours.<br /><br />I've got a 115ah batt. for my '75 50hp, the dif. in cost wasn't that great and my charging system doesn't have to work as hard, also when it came to replacing ign. components for my motor the batt. was by far the least expensive. Also for the price of one good batt. you won't need two small ones.<br /><br />Bottom line, those voltage spikes aren't normal and indicate your charging system is working too hard for some reason<br /><br />I'll keep looking & hope this helps ;)

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well its morning here in Denmark, and Im going to my summer-house for the next 4 days. But Ill be back after that.<br />At sunday, Ill get my new batterys. Also Ill change my battery connectors. (today Im using "snap clip on", and Ill change to the type there shall tightend by bolt.)

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well. Im back again.<br />Have just installed new 80 Ah battery (13,4V full charged), and new battery connectors.<br />Yesterday I was out fishing againg, and I could read 16,1 V at my new battery after apx. 5 min. running. I did then turn on my navigation light, and the voltage dropped after 5 sec. to 14,2 V.<br />And the rest of the day, I could read 14,5 to 15,8 V at the battery, when the navigation light was on. So I gues I have to run with navigation light all the time.

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your charging system is still overcharging the batteries even with the nav lights on.<br />The batteries will have a very reduced service life with constant overcharging.<br />Did you check the charging coils resistance and output voltage, since that is where the voltage originates?<br />At the very least I would install an aftermarket voltage regulator that can be purchased at radio shack or any electronic supply store.

dafox99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd say it's almost impossible for the reg to be OK .. or a ground is off somewhere. Check all ground connections on the motor .. especially at the regulator. I don't know that motor, and I'm guessing the regulator is ground mechanically just by being bolted to the block, but it sounds like a floating ground. Also, if you have an ammeter, check the charging current .. I'm assuming your volt meter is directly across the battery leads (instead of one lead to the + battery terminal and the other to case cround).