high speed tubing/skii

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
so this weekend i seen a 35 foot? powerplay/powerquest/baja/scarab not sure on the brand but similar type of speed boat. guy backed his power boat into the water and i noticed an 8 inch skii pylon, i said do you really tow skiiers behind that? he said yah, skiiers and tubes. he told me he does 55-60 with skiis and some poeple accually do 100+ skiiing.

i was shocked has any one seen one of these cigarett boats pulling a towable or skiier?

later on i seen him towing a tube at what appeared to be 35-40 mph now when i tow a tube its 22-26 and its plenty fast. doesnt 40 seem a little fast? water can hurt at 26 when you fall off imagine 40 mph. the worst part is that he wasnt even planing out half the time and he was throwing a rooster that was about 5 feet away from hitting the tuber. i just cant imagine it was much fun for any one.

any thoughts? have any one you seen or done either?

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: high speed tubing/skii

Google "Catalina ski race". I think they ran about a month ago. Big ski, 100mph out to Catalina island and back. Looks like fun...for the boat driver.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

There has been ski racing for many decades--we used to jump out the back of boat ( tuck arms & legs in-face away from boat leaning forward) goint 50mph+ to see who could pop higher up out of the water--- whiping a tube until it is airborne for the 9 year olds if they are into it---

I take my stuff to pro mechanics so I know it is done right!

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that catalina ski race looks to be nuts.... there is no way I'd ski behind at that speed.. those guys are crazy ... some boats though.

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

In the Catalina race... who was spotting the skiers? seemed no one was looking back to see if they still had a guy in tow.. with that many boast all going the same way hauling butt that could go bad QUICK

still looks fun... if you have the knees for it.