High Speed Orifice Question

alleymize

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1970 40 HP Johnson and have a question on the high speed orifice. I do not have a high speed needle on the bottom of the carb. It is just a, what I am reading, a drain plug with the high speed orifice behind it. I can take it out and it appears to be clean. But my questions are:

1. If this is a drain plug shouldn't the fuel drain out of the bowl when I remove both the orifice and drain plug off? I am thinking that this is how I am to drain the fuel out of the bowl at the end of the year. Is there some trick for getting it out because mine does not drain anything out but a couple of dribbles.

2. When putting the high speed orifice back in do I just screw it all the way down until it stops or do I back it back out a certain amount after seating it?

Thanks for any help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: High Speed Orifice Question

no need to remove jet to drain, just the screw. tilt engine. and put screw back in. the jet itself, screw all the way in.

alleymize

Seaman Apprentice

But when I pull the drain plug nothing comes out. I have not tried tilting the engine up but I would have thought it would have at least something come out when I removed it. Does anything come out when you remove the drain plug before tilting? I will try this tilt thing and let you know.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

carb could already be empty.

alleymize

Seaman Apprentice

The reason for the above question is I am not getting any gas coming out into the carb for it to start. I did do a rebuild of the carb and cleaned everything with carb cleaner. The low speed needle area appears clean including the 3 small holes in the top of the throat of the carb where the gas should be coming out. I can take off the bowl and there is gas in it so I do not understand why I am not getting any into the throat of the carb.

alleymize

Seaman Apprentice

As to the answer to "it may already be empty"... I actually removed the drain plug and orifice and saw nothing was coming out and thought the same thing. I then removed the bowl and it was filled with gas. This is the reason I asked the question should the orifice go all the way in or be turned back out after seating.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

you just screw the high speed in and seat it and that's it..no backing it out ...it is not adjustable...

Al