HIGH RPMs = HIGH TEMPS

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class
2002 225 efi saltwater 2 stroke<br /> At idle temps fin telltale fine<br /> Raise rpms - temps go up,tell-tale pissing great.<br /> Sometimes when I run hard to the fishing hole-shut down for a short period- restart the overheat alarm goes off for a minute till it cools at idle speed. Temp goes way up when the boat is cruising at about 3500 rpms. Water pump 1 year old. Help!!<br /> Dead Eye

rocks

Seaman
Re: HIGH RPMs = HIGH TEMPS

Start with popet valve. KCLOST will help he's the poppet expert.

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class

Didn't check where the poppet is on this motor. ? I changed the poppet on my old 88 150 blk max that was easy. Hope the 225 is the same setup.<br /> Thanks, Dead Eye

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anybody know if/where poppet is on 2002 225 EFI<br /> Thanks, Dead Eye

KCLOST

Commander

I don't think you have a poppet on that motor...<br /><br />And your symptoms do not indicate that a faulty poppet valve (if there was one) is the culprit...<br /><br />We need to know what kind of water pressures you are seeing at various rpms...<br /><br />Do you have a pressure guage???<br /><br />That water pump could still need service, there are several factors that could cause your problem all related to that... <br />Bad gasket under the pump housing, running it dry, etc...<br /><br />Another first and easy check is the t-stats... Replace them and retest....<br /><br />Let us know,,,

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class

No pressure gague. T-stats were replaced last fall when I bought the boat. Boat is on a lift now I was hoping this could be fixed without pulling the boat. If the pump is bad I'll pull the boat to fix it. Was hoping there was a poppet because I could change it on the lift.<br /> Thanks, Dead Eye<br /> P.S. how hard would it be to put on a pressure gague?