Hide all weapons... I am in trouble>>>>>>>ugh! Help

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class
1996 15 hp outboard... just bought new head for it and gasket...as it was slightly warped. put it on an noticed that water was spitting out the right lower side of the block... A CRACK!!!!!!!!! shut her down.. pulled the head and i can see the crack in the outside of the water jacket...IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO? short of trashing the motor? any ideas for a fix... i checked and blocks are like 1200 bucks...UGH my wife will kill me if she finds out...someone with any kind of good info
THANKS

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hide all weapons... I am in trouble>>>>>>>ugh! Help

It can probably be welded. Youll want to pick up some spot check penetrant , die and developer to see the extent of the crack but it will weld after a good preheat.

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class

It can probably be welded. Youll want to pick up some spot check penetrant , die and developer to see the extent of the crack but it will weld after a good preheat.

who would i go to to do that? someone suggested JB weld... would they weld from the outside in or inside out...tight quarters...

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

You could try JB weld but thats probably not going to be a permanent fix. I'm sure someone will pipe in saying how great the stuff is but Ive found it to be one of the worst epoxies on the market. Heating and cooling cycles will make any temporary repair temporary usually where you least want it to let go. Pull the powerhead and take it to a weld shop where they will preheat the area and put a bead over the cracked area. r

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

As long as it in the water jacket a good cleaning and some aluminum Devcon will fix it right up .no welding.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

BlueB how badly was it warped. put it on a plate glass table and slide a feeler under it! Faztb, My 15 head goes over 180 degrees if I run it hard and shut down quick. Is plastic going to take that?