HI,I HAVE A 1986 SUZUKI DT150 hp 2 STROKE! CAN I JUST MIX MY OWN GAS/OIL??

larryhere

Seaman Apprentice
Finding it difficult if not impossible to find parts, not to mention the cost! Is there any draw back to just mixing the gas/oil the old way! I realize i would need to bypass all the sensors, but i don't see the big deal in mixing the gas/oil and because of parts and the tons of crap to inject the oil, well you know! Would it get the oil in the right places and what would be the mix ratio if its possible! Thanks from the auto mechanic,,,ha ha! Larry

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: HI,I HAVE A 1986 SUZUKI DT150 hp 2 STROKE! CAN I JUST MIX MY OWN GAS/OIL??

Your engine doesn't care how it gets the oil, Larry. Use any TC-W3 oil at 50:1 with 87 octane unleaded.

larryhere

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks JB! I really appreciate your help!!!! I don't want to have to resort to this,, and a lot of people on here don't understand the fact you can't find or afford a lot of the discontinued parts,, at least I can't and the motor still runs pretty good! Before posting I did do a search and found nobody would answer the ?, just said fix it! After posting, while waiting for a response, I found an old post from years ago, that told how the omc (puff sys) and it would work and also early mercs , but yamaha which followed the suzuki oil injection sys. with a gear driven oil pump, you could only go to premix if the pump drive was removed, yamaha was side mounted and could possibly be removed, but the suzuki which is in the front couldn't be removed without the powerhead taken off (a ton of work)! The pump would seize up without the oil in it, and would destroy the engine!! also this pump sys. puts oil in diff. spots,, like crank lube! I did look in the service manual and the pump is gear driven by the crank, and there is a oil line from the top to the bottom of the crank area. So anyway I'm still a little lost! I'm going to look for a used part motor, which is about impossible out here in the country, but some of the parts are discontinued!! Thanks for your help,, its really appreciated, Larry!!

James R

Commander

Larryhere you are correct about the pump seizing without oil. Also remember that the oil feeds to the manifolds need to be sealed off otherwise the mixture will be too lean and burn up your motor.
Having said that, why do you need to disconnect the oiling system. Suzuki has the most reliable oiling system out there. Yes it needs some minor maintenance like checking that the oil is flowing at the correct rate and that it is oozing from each check valve but apart from that nothing . You can run your motor on a separate tank with 50:1 in to do the testing. I run a 140 and check the oil flow at the beginning of each season. Probably unnecessary as it has never failed me. I use Penzoil synthetic blend on all my motors and never had any oiling failure. I have reconnected Suzuki oiling systems after the owner has disconnected and they are still running without issue.

larryhere

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all you great people that are willing to help out the every day guys! Can't even ask at the local dealers/mechanics, they don't want to help at all!! New to the suzuki outboards, always had omc's and had gone to premix on a couple and it was simple! after getting this boat, and since its still cold here, I decided to go thru it! first noticed the water pisser low, replaced impeller, now great! they had the tilt/trim switched, so just reversed wires. Wanted to check oil/gas lines and removed oil tank and found cracked oil and gas lines! upon fixing I noticed which seems like 100's of lines, looked at service manual and also priced some of the oil injection parts,,,not to speak of the ones no longer available. Thats why I was wondering how hard it would be to convert! As it is, I'm going to change all the lines and go with it!!!! Thanks again,,Larry

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i also am an auto tech. i owned a dt75 1982or3, i was very happy with it,sold it got bigger boat. but anyways mine was an internal oil pump,it used straight 2 stroke oil to lube pump,then mixed with fuel. I had the suzuki manual on it, i dont see how oil pump would get enough oil to keep from siezing.I only maint i did was clean out oil bottle and screen every year or so.but once and if you aways use clean oil bottle will stay clean. I have bought oil in bulk and found some sedimate in bottle bottom