Hi fuel pressure/ need relief

24 Albemarle

Seaman
1997 Volvo GSI PLKD manu. 4/97 Ser.# 4110143930 w/ DP290A. After Don's assistance regarding the correct manual I see that this TBI's fuel pressure should be around 9-13 psi... mine is at 28lbs. psi. Three years ago I had a low pressure pump go and I replaced the pressure regulator then and had 28 lbs. psi. in my ignorance I assumed this to be correct as this was what it had before the pump change. I have been running since w/ 28psi. So since I don't have sense enough to leave well enough alone I am seeking the secret as to why. I have checked for restictions in all lines- none fnd, I have inspected Vapor tank and it was clean, I put clear plastic hose on return line to v tank and had no fuel appear.I culd not do test for pressure with return line as this is steel line and need special adaptors to check so I removed end going into vst tank and ran hose to seperate receptacle (relieving any presure from return line) and still had 28lbs.psi. I have used two different gauges and same #'s. I removed pressure regulator and screwed the spring tension all the out till it stopped and have 28lbs. psi. I checked part #'s on fuel pumps and they are correct. I am wondering if this is causing my new injectors to occaisionaly drip a little drop into an otherwise good cone pattern? Should I try screwing the fuel pressure reg all the way in at this point I guess there is not much to lose.I'm sure I'll be told to get a new pressure reg.anyway, but why would two of them show the same pressure?Years apart. Also why are there two different fuel pumps if the regulator controls all pressure issues anyway?Well I'm tired of typing so I'm sure you're tired of reading... Ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hi fuel pressure/ need relief

It's supposed to be 29 +-2 psi. Your 28 was fine.

24 Albemarle

Seaman

Ok, check section 3 page 8 of the afore mentioned manual (EFI lk models) and tell me what I'm doing wrong, please. Not being smart here, I just can't seem to find anything that say's different... 11+/- 2 for tbi page 32 on side bar. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Been there done that, and I do understand what you are saying. I have a chart from Volvo showing the GSi having 29psi, and the GLi and Gi having 11. In the BY manual it states 29, in the LK it manual it states 11. I have been checking service bulletins since my last reply, trying to find something that would put the two together. But finding nothing.
I would suggest you get ahold of a VP dealer and explain the delema. Here is the chart that came from the 2005 VP training manual and handout.
They will be able to contact VP tech and check it for sure.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/DonSind/Fuelpumpchart.png

Last edited: