Hey guys, please help with my mods gone wrong.....

OneBone

Cadet
Hey guys, I've got a 98 5.0 I/O Mercruiser. I've had it for a while and wanted to get more performance. It was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Evenrude outboards and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the engine. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold. I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't hook up the water hose so it wouldn't gum up. After running the boat a while and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the engine back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it up & down the river, then it started to make scraping and knocking noises.

Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Evenrude outboards so he doesn't know much about Mercruiser I/O's.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Hey guys, please help with my mods gone wrong.....

I am sure that wore thru the cylinder bores and a lot of the sand blasting medium ended up in the bottom of the engine. Use a hole saw and Drill a 2-3 inch hole in the bottom of the oil pan to get all the sand out. Then take the carb off and the exhaust manifolds off and turn the boat upside dow to get the unused medium out of the intake and exhaust

BonairII

Commander

You poured sand into a running motor? :eek: And ran the motor without supplying it with water?

I hope I'm wrong, but that sounds beyond dumb.

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gotta be an april 1st joke. I've seen this before on car forums.

rickryder

Commander

No one is that stupid..... If they are please give me their address so I can remove them from the gene pool :cool:

foodfisher

Captain

One of my mods is speaking Chinese!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, that is what this forum is about; Stupid human tricks.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gotta be an April Fools joke. I hope.:facepalm:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Gotta be an april 1st joke. I've seen this before on car forums.

Man 2 on the line and you didn't even let him start to reel. :facepalm::D

​Edited because I forgot the quote.

BonairII

Commander

Dammit....I forgot today is the 1st! :facepalm:

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its probably nothin, jus got bigger ports now is all. ;)

Maclin

Admiral

If the original post was not an April Fool's joke I made sure my response was :D

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Hey guys, I've got a 98 5.0 I/O Mercruiser. I've had it for a while and wanted to get more performance. It was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Evenrude outboards and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the engine. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold. I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't hook up the water hose so it wouldn't gum up. After running the boat a while and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the engine back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it up & down the river, then it started to make scraping and knocking noises.

Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Evenrude outboards so he doesn't know much about Mercruiser I/O's.

You guys screwed up. You forgot to put the 6 ounces of Carbide powder in the oil before dumping the sand in the intake. The carbide will break down the sand into more manageable pieces. It has the added benefit of polishing the crank and bearings while you are doing the sand porting.