Hey guys can I take my boat out with my current tilt issue?

26fthawaiian

Seaman
Re: Hey guys can I take my boat out with my current tilt issue?

YUP!!!! thats it CAPT, that little rod is extended about a inch down, although its kinda dirty but not corroded. So im in Vegas man, its about 114 outside right now, Im going to wait for it to cool off and ill pop the top on that box and have a look, and yeah the black box doesnt pull up at all but it does swivel a little but,dude thanks soo much for helping me out man seriously id buy you some beers and a steak if you were here man!!!! ill see ya in a but im about to have lunch.:)

26fthawaiian

Seaman

OK finally lolz..!!!! I took the black box cover off of the electro tilt thing, I'm guessing the switch is the blue thing in there that sits in its little box? Ok well, I have good battery power, but when I hit my trim switch I hear nothing at all back there, it sounds dead.
But I finally see on the outdrive where it locks into place and that all looks ok, in fact if I could just get that stainless sleeve to go back up into its hole my drive would go all the way down and lock, it does look like it will lock into place , so my question, is there any way to get that stainless sleeve back up into its hole when the unit itself isnt working? my friend has a 24 sleek with the 280 outdrive, he said his also doesnt work but his sleeve is all the way in, so he just drops his drive by hand in the water and locks it and goes boating, id like to do that also, so anyone?? Capt? can you guys give me some advice as to get that sleeve back up into its hole???

26fthawaiian

Seaman

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you mean the nipple part on the blue switch is supposed to click in and out?

captmello

Captain

The button in the center of the trim switch should click. Its important that that works. If its stuck in, it will stop the lift mechanism from lowering, If it is removed you can damage the tilt assembly. you may be able to try operating the lift with the box off the top as long as the wires are still hooked up. If there is too much grease in the tilt assembly it could be stopping the motor prematurely. Hard to say what is the problem.

The only way your going to get that rod back into the drive is to take off the stainless sleeve which will shorten the rod, and tread the sleeve back on once the rod is up in the hole. before trying, clean and lube the rod to make sure the sleeve will thread on easily once the rod is in the hole, Also make sure the sleeve will fit through the hole from the top. The hole in the arm can get mushroomed a bit and may need to be augered out with a drill bit.

Let me know what happens.;)

26fthawaiian

Seaman

Ok I went and checked the switch, I mean actually it looks new, and it clicks just like it should its not stuck or anything. SO yeah, I dont know if Im down with taking the whole thing apart to get that sleeve back up there im debating whether I should just take it to somebody or idk. I dont really have the money for it atm

captmello

Captain

It in your hands now. What do have to take apart? Just unscrew the sleeve off the rod. Thats got to be fixed. I just did mine like this a couple months ago. Now that I think about it, I removed the exhaust bellow as well but that may not be necessary.

If your going to be a boat owner, get ready to work on it or pay big for someone else to do it. When you get these issues fixed, there will be more. Just the way it goes. If you can get the rod fixed, I'll help you trouble shoot the lift mechanism.

Where do you want to go? Lake Mead?

26fthawaiian

Seaman

Yeah but Im lost as to how to take the sleeve off, im guessing I have to completely remove the lift assembly from inside of my engine compartment? I have looked at the diagrams of the whole thing I just dont know what to take off first to even get to it, my sleeve doesnt even really look stainless though, its kinda dirty, it doesnt look like the one in the pic clean wise. And yeah I jus wanna go to lake mead I need to get on the water :) an thanks for your help again man I appreciate it alot!! Ok so to get to the sleeve, but why do I have to take the sleeve off just to screw that thing back up into the drive thats what Im wondering?

26fthawaiian

Seaman

I have my exhaust bellows capped off on the y pipe coz I converted my boat to thru-hull so I think I have room there, my exhaust hoses arent really in the way from what I can see, does that sleeve unscrew from outside by the inside of the outdrive or?

captmello

Captain

26fthawaiian

Seaman

lol sorry man. Ok I have two wires that goes into the main box I also just took some pics ill show you in a sec

captmello

Captain

Pics are good!

At this point we're going to tryto jump the motor and bypass the box and controls. Do you have a 12v test light?

26fthawaiian

Seaman

Yeah I do have a test light its up the street at out other house it'll take me a sec to run up and get it if thats cool

captmello

Captain

We can go about this two ways. You can try to hotwire the motor in the boat, in which case that will take some wire, clips etc. If you want to do that, fine. Or you could physically raise the rod the rest of the way by opening up the tilt assembly from inside the boat.

Which way you want to go?

26fthawaiian

Seaman

024.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

26fthawaiian

Seaman

Ok there's some pics Capt, now I can go and jumper some wires and try it that way ,I have to go get my tester though and get some clips , how many will I need for this??

captmello

Captain

I went and tried this on my boat just now and it should work on yours.

Lets just get your drive all the way down and get the boat in the water.

First you'll need to remove the top of the tilt asssembly, #4 in the link

just takes a cresent wrench. The black box has to be off of course. When you get that cover off let me know.

Can you do that?

If so, while your working on that, I'll type the rest of the process.

26fthawaiian

Seaman

:) let me ask you this, which way would you do this Capt?

captmello

Captain

I think you should do it the mechanical way and get out on the lake. But when you get back and tell us how great it was, then we'll go through it systematically. It will be good to know how the rest of the boat is before spending a bunch of time on the tilt.

26fthawaiian

Seaman

:D HAH sweet man!! ok crescent wrench, remove the top of the black box, lemme go back and look at the diagram