Here you go...some pictures of my fleetwin and fisherman...and a question

Britcheflee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, here is a couple of pics of my set up. I found that I can get it to run at high rpm in idle but once in gear it bogs down - could this actually be because I have it set up in a static situation on the end of the dock?

I have just noticed I cant turn the darn thing - locked solid in one position (fleetwin) ok to give it some leverage?

Attachments

• outboard motors 001.jpg
    outboard motors 001.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard motors 002.jpg
    outboard motors 002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard motors 003.jpg
    outboard motors 003.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Here you go...some pictures of my fleetwin and fisherman...and a question

You might have a bad shock absorber in the Fleetwin. You may have to take the pilot tube out and clean it up and re-lube it. This model of Fleetwin, the low spped setting is 1 1/2 turns out and the high speed is 3/4 turn out. Nice looking old motor, by the way

Britcheflee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You might have a bad shock absorber in the Fleetwin. You may have to take the pilot tube out and clean it up and re-lube it. This model of Fleetwin, the low spped setting is 1 1/2 turns out and the high speed is 3/4 turn out. Nice looking old motor, by the way

Thank you - not sure where the pilot tube is located - is that a fairly simple job to do?

Lee

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The pilot tube is the part that the motor pivots on when you turn it. The bottom of it is bolted to the lower shock mounts. Basically what you do is unbolt the lower shock mounts from the motor and the assembly with the transome clamps should slide right off. You might also loosen the friction screw also, to help make it easier. Inside where the pilot tube rides, there are some fiber inserts that get corrosion build up from the metal and that squeezes them harder on the pilot tube, making the motor hard to turn. The same issue is common, with the tiller handle assembly, making the throttle hard to twist. Judging by what I see in your pictures, your Fleetwin is a 1957 model and you can see your parts break down here.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2831/ITEM_283100001.htm

On page 10 and item 50, you'll see what the pilot tube is. It fits right in the swivel bracket, which is item 81 on the same page. Remove items 42 and 43 to remove the swivel bracket.

Attachments

• ITEM_283100010im.jpg
    ITEM_283100010im.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 0

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Nice looking fleetwin motor & tank! The fisherman is nice too, but I like the 50s!
I would not apply too much pressure to get it to turn...something will break. You've got too nice of a motor for that to happen. You'll need to disassemble anyway to clean and lube. My '57 Lark was locked up bad. It was amazing how much effort was required to get it to turn...even after disassembly.

Has the motor and tank been restored...or original?

mas

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Regarding your 6hp Fisherman...

All of those old 2-cylinder Johnrudes will "run at high RPM" in neutral on one cylinder, then "bog down" once put in gear. Check to make sure you have good spark and good compression on both cylinders.

Britcheflee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice looking fleetwin motor & tank! The fisherman is nice too, but I like the 50s!
I would not apply too much pressure to get it to turn...something will break. You've got too nice of a motor for that to happen. You'll need to disassemble anyway to clean and lube. My '57 Lark was locked up bad. It was amazing how much effort was required to get it to turn...even after disassembly.

Has the motor and tank been restored...or original?

mas

No, this is how it came out of the barn - had to run quite a bit of gas through the line as it was gummed up with old fuel (is there a source for new rubber fuel/air line?) - I have a feeling my problem may be due to crud inside the carb for this very reason - now I am annoyed at myself for not taking it apart and cleaning it when I had the power head off on the bench - just never thought about it. I have one final outboard project to work on....will post a picture which you might find interesting even though it is not an Evinrude or Johnson maybe someone here can give advice - watch for picture later today.
Thank you for very good advice and diagram - always great to come to a forum and get information from experts!!

Lee

nwcove

Admiral

where did you say that barn was?????????????lol
(my avitar is what they look like when they get taken from a barn in this neck of the woods! :eek: )

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Fuel lines can easily be obtained from any parts house. I would just buy some 1/8" fuel line by the foot and replace all on the motor..

Hey nwcove, I think that barn may even have spit shined floors too. :D:D