Here we go PODS project with pics

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Here we go PODS project with pics

looks cool let us know when you test it.
Matt

im going to test it on thruday i have to finish sealing it in and find every little hole and patch it. trust me i will let you all know and take pics or video of it running.

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

had to take care of the baby most the day today but here is what i could do. tomorrow i will sand it a bit paint the bottom and flip it back over. then sand and seal ever little hole then i will paint it and put it in the pond, to see how she sits if everything goes good then i will take it to the lake.

Attachments

• IMG_2105.jpg
    IMG_2105.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2106.jpg
    IMG_2106.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2107.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

pods are done heres some pics. im going to take her on the pond tomorrow and ill update of how they work.

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2113.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2116.jpg
    IMG_2116.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

more pics

Attachments

• IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

wow thanks for the info the bolts are 3/8 galv. i really dont think they will go anywhere i have lifted the boat from the pods already. if for some reason they do break i will do it the way you said but for now its to late the pods are all glassed in and im doing finishing touches. everything you say makes alot of sence so dont think im not listening it just to late. thank you

those bolts caught my eye too, the washers are way too small, looks like they are depressing the glass already and soon will work loose with a bit of pounding.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

With all the glassing and epoxy i think you will be fine. Think about it you don't bolt in a transom or stringers. Just glass. Those were just holders while he got the glassing done. I'm pretty sure you will be fine. My opinion tho
Matt

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

With all the glassing and epoxy i think you will be fine. Think about it you don't bolt in a transom or stringers. Just glass. Those were just holders while he got the glassing done. I'm pretty sure you will be fine. My opinion tho
Matt

i think so to i put handles on the back of them today and flipped it from them and they didnt move. i also laid on top of one and it didnt make a sound (i weigh close to 240lb) thanks for the back up btw

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

ok heres the update. i put 3 in of foam in it. already glassed bottom, back, and sides. its bolted to the transom now. the hydrofoil clears it by about 1/4 in. i already dug into the boat and pods and tomorrow i will fill all that in with glass and make it permanet to the boat. so what do you all think so far?

Looking good. Looking forward to seeing how they work out. Something I've thought about doing myself if when I finish restoring my boat it appears to heavy in the back.

Have one concern though with your hydrofoils only clearing by a 1/4 inch. When in use the hydrofoils provide lift which means they will likely flex upward when your boat is in motion causing them to contact the sides of your pods and severely limiting your steering. Just a thought. :(

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking good. Looking forward to seeing how they work out. Something I've thought about doing myself if when I finish restoring my boat it appears to heavy in the back.

Have one concern though with your hydrofoils only clearing by a 1/4 inch. When in use the hydrofoils provide lift which means they will likely flex upward when your boat is in motion causing them to contact the sides of your pods and severely limiting your steering. Just a thought. :(

i really did think abou that. what im going to do is test it with the hydrofoil first in a straight run. then with out. if it runs the same i will leave it off. if it doesnt then i have to get in the and lower the would so the motor sits a little lower for use of the hydrfoil. im trying to get a 1959 evinrude lark 35hp lol. i hope the guy calls me but we will see keep your fingers crossed Xii iiX

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Just be careful and WEAR your lifejacket while testing. I know you've flipped the boat over from the pods while working, but static force is not the same as dynamic force. From pounding the waves etc., the pods may experience transient forces many times those of the static force used while lifting.

Good luck!

erikgreen

Captain

Matt

I was under the impression that he didn't glass the pods on, he just glassed them to cover their surface... or did he fair the joint?

Anyway, I guess my impressions are based on the idea that the bolts are the main holding force.

Erik

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was under the impression that he didn't glass the pods on, he just glassed them to cover their surface... or did he fair the joint?

Anyway, I guess my impressions are based on the idea that the bolts are the main holding force.

Erik

yeah i ginded the boat and the pods then i glassed them together and filled the gap. after that i put a 6 inch piece of fiberglass strip around the bottom and sides.

i put it in the pond today it sits about 1 inch high in the back but the deal is when i got to going the front of the boat did not even try to come up. it ran plain and i really think its running faster can really tell cause i dont have enough room in there to keep going straight. any ways though the pods are about half way in the water when sitting. once i got going the pods were maybe 3/4" in the water i think the test was a sucess. so now its to the lake. as for testing it with a lifejacket on i think ill be alright im cuban we tend to float lmmfao.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

...as for testing it with a lifejacket on i think ill be alright...

Uh huh. Just keep this guy in mind.

nickschuylerrescue.jpg

nickschuylerrescue2.jpg