Here we go...more battery questions......

capecliff

Cadet
Have a two battery system with a perco 1-2-All-off switch. Haven't charged this kind of setup before. What's the best way to do it? I'm using a Guest 3-stage 10 amp portable charger.DO I simply turn battery switch to OFF and then connect the clips to each battery post and charge each battery individually?Or must I disconnect everything from the battery I'm charging?<br />Both batteries are 24 series deep cycle.<br /><br />Now for the really stupid questions...(if you are still reading, I truly appreciate your patience)<br /><br />I have what's probably a typical two battery setup with the perco switch. But here's what I don't understand:<br /><br />Battery #1 has three cables attached to it. (The perco switch cable and the two others I don't know but will assume they are electronics and/or engine and maybe the bilge pump). Battery #2 only has the Perco switch cables attached. <br /><br />How, then, can the electronics, for example, run if they are attached to Batt#1 when I have the switch turned to batt#2?<br /><br />I just don't get this.<br /><br />Thanx

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Here we go...more battery questions......

Last question first....the reason they will run is cause they are connected to the battery permanently, even if that battery is not being charged. The selector switch decides who'll start the engine and get charged.<br /><br />Now, I prefer to see the accessories connected to the common connector on the perko. This will allow the acc. to run off of the battery which is selected. Not only that, but it is not a good idea to charge a battery with acc. connected to it. <br />Then, you can select "Off" and charge one battery at a time (no cables to disconnect)<br />Remember DO NOT TURN SWITCH TO OFF WHEN RUNNING!!!

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Here we go...more battery questions......

I agree with schematic on this...one wire to a positive post only! the 'extra' 2 wires should be connected to the common post on the back of the switch...the most important part of having one of these switches is the ability to turn everything in the boat OFF.....when charging, switch in off position and charge one battery at a time with all things connected to posts....