Here I go again!! 1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration SPLASHED!

parrisw

Ensign
Re: Here I go again!! 1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration

It is alot, but consider the size of this boat.

It is almost 23 ft long, 8' wide and very deep. Some of the stringers were close to 18 inches tall, and I used alot for Peanut Butter mixing. Also you have to consider waste, and I bet I had alot. That little bit in the bottom of the cup when you are finished adds up.

I finished the second layer of CSM on the deck. WHHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more major glass work is needed. From now on it is small panels and seat mounts. Once again I am out of Resin. So I am off to get more.

True, I had almost no stringers to cover. You did have allot of stringer work to do.

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now THAT"S JUST WRONG!!!!

Guess You'll have to Name yours

"TINUNDERGLASS"

Just call it GLASSTASTIC!

Friscoboater

Captain

Great names guys. I think Sea Jay is sticking the most. Everyone I have mentioned to to has gone "oooooooo that is a good one"

This has been a busy past few days on the boat. I have alot of pictures and video to post, so hang in there and I will get them up.

The Deck in totally glassed, the set mounts are glassed it, and I made about 50% of the front seat boxes. There is still slot to do before gel coat, but I am moving quickly. It looks like business is really picking back up, and starting tomorrow I am booked out for two weeks, so it is back to weekends only for a while. I think I can still make July 4th.

Friscoboater

Captain

Here are a Couple of videos from the past few days. I still have alot to edit.

Some asked me to show how I make Peanut Butter.

Glassing the Deck

cyclone53

Recruit

Hey Jay, the progress looks awesome and i'm sure you'll make the 4th. i had one quick question, i'm here locally in the metroplex and i was wondering where you are buying your fiberglass products at. i've been calling around and have gotten some prices, but i thought maybe you had some suggestions on where i could buy it cheap(er) lol...thanks for any info you have, and again AWESOME WORK!

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jay - nice work!!!

Question - How much of a "lip" is there between your stringer and the edge of the plywood around your ski locker?

The reason I am asking is: When I redid my floor, I didn't like the "flex" (I am 6'3" - 225) when I walked on the locker. So I ripped a 2x2 (making it 1/2 x 2) and put it under the floor on each edge of the locker (runnng long ways) and glassed them in when I was "wrapping" the chopped strand around the opening. It helped out quite a bit - it feels alot more solid now.

You might be fine how you have it....depending on how much of a gap you have between stringers.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Jay: Holy Cow that floor looks strong! I bet your tabbing to the sides is much better than how it left the factory. She's going to be one tough boat.

Great job!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great work man!
Have a good time on the jet-ski!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Very Nice Job, As Usual, on your Glassin!!!!!

guitarkev77

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome job on the floor, Jay. It's funny. I have been thinking of "Sea Jay" as a name for your boat ever since I first saw people posting possible names. I didn't realize that someone had posted that one. I think it's very fitting, though. Keep up the good work. You're flying through this thing now.
-Kevin

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

J have'nt chimmed in awhile but I have to say top notch work and looks to be as tough as nails. And by the way great idea on the motor mounts makes you appricieate Dad more and more.

HMCM(SS)Ret

Cadet

Great Job! I have read through most of this thread and watched the videos. Really appreciate the volume of information and the time you have taken to put it out. It has helped me a bunch in formulating a plan for my own project.

Friscoboater

Captain

Jay - nice work!!!

Question - How much of a "lip" is there between your stringer and the edge of the plywood around your ski locker?

The reason I am asking is: When I redid my floor, I didn't like the "flex" (I am 6'3" - 225) when I walked on the locker. So I ripped a 2x2 (making it 1/2 x 2) and put it under the floor on each edge of the locker (runnng long ways) and glassed them in when I was "wrapping" the chopped strand around the opening. It helped out quite a bit - it feels alot more solid now.

You might be fine how you have it....depending on how much of a gap you have between stringers.

I noticed the same thing, and I and going to do a somewhat similar fix. The old hatch also screwed into the side of the deck, and had a hinge. I would like to add a little lip to the underside of the deck, then drill into that, and remove the hinge. That way the only thing that could rot will be that little lip.

Jay: Holy Cow that floor looks strong! I bet your tabbing to the sides is much better than how it left the factory. She's going to be one tough boat.

Great job!

Thanks Luhrs. I hope that everything is better in this boat. Too many short cuts taken at the factory.

Great work man!
Have a good time on the jet-ski!

I did. My shoulders and harms are killing me. I forgot how fun that thing is.

Very Nice Job, As Usual, on your Glassin!!!!!

Thanks Wood.

Awesome job on the floor, Jay. It's funny. I have been thinking of "Sea Jay" as a name for your boat ever since I first saw people posting possible names. I didn't realize that someone had posted that one. I think it's very fitting, though. Keep up the good work. You're flying through this thing now.
-Kevin

That name is sticking.

J have'nt chimmed in awhile but I have to say top notch work and looks to be as tough as nails. And by the way great idea on the motor mounts makes you appricieate Dad more and more.

Thanks Fanny. I am ready to have this thing in the water.

We took out the Jet Ski today and had a blast. I needed that getaway to clear my head. Back to the boat tomorrow.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

I gotta say, ive watched every video youve made, I also have a similiar year gm truck, so I watched those too... But having watched all (and I do mean all) of your work, I gotta ask, is it worth it? And did the original seller of the sea ray ever fess up to, well, screwing you? (for lack of better words) I never saw that addressed after the initial video... I will say your experience with a rotted floor n stringers among other things led me to start a thread on. How do you check for deck rot n stringer rot on a prospective boat purchase, being that in my book you are the expert, what would you look for, and what would you do different? Check my link for my original questions... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=485674

bear_69cuda

Commander

Morning Jay!

I'm so fired up for you brutha!

The deck is so awesome! Putting that gel down is gonna be like icing a cake!

Happy for you man...

Great work!

Peace!

jayboy76

Cadet

Great job Jay. Will there be a texture left on the top of the CSM and will the Gel coat cover that up. since my boat is a fishing boat we are thinking about just slip proofing the gel or my son is still thinking about the Rhino Bed Liner as a spray on top of the csm. I wonder if that is compatible with the poly resin.

Early in your project you mentioned that you were going to take measurements across the boat to make sue the hull sides end up the same place after redecking. Did you check to see how you came out?. Since you didn't have to remove a cap it may just be a mute point anyway. Just curious.

Friscoboater

Captain

Great job Jay. Will there be a texture left on the top of the CSM and will the Gel coat cover that up. since my boat is a fishing boat we are thinking about just slip proofing the gel or my son is still thinking about the Rhino Bed Liner as a spray on top of the csm. I wonder if that is compatible with the poly resin.

Early in your project you mentioned that you were going to take measurements across the boat to make sue the hull sides end up the same place after redecking. Did you check to see how you came out?. Since you didn't have to remove a cap it may just be a mute point anyway. Just curious.

I am putting down snap in carpet, so slickness does not matter to me. Yes I took measurements, and things are right back to where they used to be.

polarstar

Cadet

Been following your build. Some nights I am up to 3:30 a.m. watching them. I was just curious to see if you have been keeping track on how much the weights are? Transom, stringers, deck all the cloth and resin? You do absolutely brilliant work.

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jay,
Wow, that deck is looking really good and I think over the winter, I'll look at removing our glued-in carpet and put a layer or two of CSM down for the gelcoat substrate. Awesome Job!!

Question:
I know you have a huge roll of CSM, and I know you're not about to cut corners at this point. But tell me, in all sincerity, how many layers of CSM do you think the deck needs? I believe you put two CSM layers down, but then in your video you made a statement about a 3rd layer. Anyway, I know the deck surface isn't structural (I already have a layer of epoxy resin with 1708 in high traffic areas) but I'm really in the phase of developing a plan for the gelcoat process.

One last note, I'm not trying to second guess your work here, after all it's your project. Just looking for some advice. I've worked a lot with 1708 but haven't done much with CSM.

Anyone?

Thanks Jay!!!

Nick

Friscoboater

Captain

Been following your build. Some nights I am up to 3:30 a.m. watching them. I was just curious to see if you have been keeping track on how much the weights are? Transom, stringers, deck all the cloth and resin? You do absolutely brilliant work.

I should be around 150 pounds heavier.

Jay,
Wow, that deck is looking really good and I think over the winter, I'll look at removing our glued-in carpet and put a layer or two of CSM down for the gelcoat substrate. Awesome Job!!

Question:
I know you have a huge roll of CSM, and I know you're not about to cut corners at this point. But tell me, in all sincerity, how many layers of CSM do you think the deck needs? I believe you put two CSM layers down, but then in your video you made a statement about a 3rd layer. Anyway, I know the deck surface isn't structural (I already have a layer of epoxy resin with 1708 in high traffic areas) but I'm really in the phase of developing a plan for the gelcoat process.

One last note, I'm not trying to second guess your work here, after all it's your project. Just looking for some advice. I've worked a lot with 1708 but haven't done much with CSM.

Anyone?

Thanks Jay!!!

Nick

I only put down two layers. You have to remember this is a really big boat. Most of the complete stringer jobs on here are smaller boats, and do not require as much reinforcement.

Now you guys have me scared... :eek:

I have always read 2 layers of 1708 on the stringers, one layer to tab the deck to the hull, and 2 layers of CSM on the deck.