Help !!!!!!!

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1991 Johnson 70 hp. It will occasionally lose spark on the middle cylinder. I have replaced all coils, powerpack 2 times. My wrench has looked at it twice and was unable to find anything. Today when it did it there was a chirping from under the dash, The VRO and all wires have been removed. The temp sensor was unplugged as well.

1. If the horn is going bad will it cause the spark problem?

2. Could the spark problem be from the timer base?

Thanks in advance!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help !!!!!!!

You will get a lot more help if you don't shout HELP!!! and put your problem in the topic title instead.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Just curious,how do you know it is #2 cylinder ?

Had something similar on a v-4 and it turned out to be a bad battery connection.I know what you might be thinking ..... but no.... it was the negative cable at the engine ground stud.

Also check the primary wire connector at #2 coil,as well as the connector from the trigger/sensor/timer base.there is also a little know ground wire on the rectifier/diode/but I think that only affects the TNT.

DHP

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know it is the middle cylinder because i pulled the wires while it was acting up and there was no spark

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have cleand all of the ground wires that I saw I will also check the connection between powerpack and trigger.
I hate to spend 175.00 for a trigger and it is not the problem.

Walker

Captain

Spend $40 instead and buy a manual and it will give you trouble shooting procedures for the ignition components.

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a generic manual but I am not very handy with a volt meter?

JUSTINTIME

Captain

u are going to have to get haby with that volt meter if u want to find the problem

what are the specs for the trigger, stator?

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Some tests in the book require a peak reading voltmeter. Maybe your wrench will let you borrow one.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

to test stator use your ohms, which ur book will have specs

volts are the better way to test, but some manufactures use ohms

i have a post on here how to make a DVA from radio shack

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My wrench did all the tests but the problem never happens when he has it.(Imagine that!) The one time it did do it he ran to get his meter and when he came back it was fine. I'll read up on the DVA thing and the other stuff.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

that is funny half the students use this in class and get around the same reading as my built in dva

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

That's interesting. I built 2 with the exact parts called for in the diagram and neither one worked. Maybe mine is a different plan.

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cleaned the 2 powerpack plug conections and pushed together tightly, ran boat today, did perfect all day