Help With Trailer Brakes Please

Chef Shawn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
27 ft Imperial, dual axle trailer. Previous owner said brakes where failing on trailer, but pointed out the hitch receiver was the problem. I pulled off one side of tires and the drum pads look good, imagine the other side will be good as well. I am not familiar with this hitch style, am I missing parts? Why is the lever locked back? What do I need to do to fix this? Any help appreciated.

Brakes are not electric, standard 4 point harness.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20140113_143206.jpg
    IMG_20140113_143206.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20140113_143211.jpg
    IMG_20140113_143211.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20140113_143501.jpg
    IMG_20140113_143501.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20140113_143602.jpg
    IMG_20140113_143602.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20140113_143642.jpg
    IMG_20140113_143642.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 0

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help With Trailer Brakes Please

I'd say you're missing...a brake line....and a break away cable! No wonder the brakes don't work. Look to see if the brake line is under the Master cylinder....but I bet you'll be replacing that actuator, possibly the lines and everything else....even if the backing plates look good, the lines could be rusted and full of rusty brake fluid. Start all over and put brakes on both axles if you are going to tow that thing anywhere. That way you know you are starting out right. I put a brake system on my old '94 Load Rite back in '04 and all I've had to do is replace the wheel cylinders a couple of times (salt water use).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You will likely need a new master cylinder
Replacement Master Cylinder Assembly for Titan Model 10 and Model 20 Brake Actuators - Drum Titan Accessories and Parts T2374600

and possibly wheel cylinders
etrailer.com - Products wheel cylinders

along with new brake lines.

If the drum brakes themselves are in very bad shape, sometimes its better to replace the whole backing plate with a new assembly.
Demco Hydraulic Drum Brake Assembly - Single Servo - Galvanized - 12" - Right Hand - 7,000 lbs Demco Trailer Brakes 23510

Whoever welded that bracket behind the master cylinder for the tongue jack did you you no favors. Can't remember if the master cylinder needs to come out the back or not. You may be able to get it out the front but you will have to remove the sliding portion of the coupler.

Here is a diagram of your coupler:
http://www.trailers-nem.com/items.asp?Cc=BRK-DICO_10_20

Lever is supposed to be in that position. That is the break away lever that will get pulled by the safety cable if you ever lose your trailer off your hitch. That lever applys the brakes by moving the master cylinder.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander

This is where the brake line comes out. You don't have one

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Basically you are going to need the entire surge brake system... Your wheel cylinders and master cylinder will all be junk from water intrusion due to no brake line... Mine was the same way... Part of the reason I went to electric brakes was because it was 1/3 the cost of replacing all the surge stuff.. the other reason is that I like the electrics better....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

$102 for the Master cylinder.
$100 for wheel cylinders.
$100 for brake line kit.

Switching to electric will be more if you need to buy drums and a brake controller.

Last edited:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Easternmarine.com trailerpartssuperstore... take your pick

Chef Shawn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks a lot for the information, everyone. Have to go through the trailer with a little more detail and figure out what I want to do.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

$102 for the Master cylinder.
$100 for wheel cylinders.
$100 for brake line kit.

Switching to electric will be more if you need to buy drums and a brake controller.

$278 is what it cost me for the entire conversion but that was for all new brakes on all 4 wheels.... most drums will be fine for both styles but look to make sure ... inner face needs to be flat without any rivets.... I would suspect that a closer inspection of his brakes show than he needs more than just wheel cylinders behind the drums

It was gonna be over $700 to replace my surge components and I already had new brake line.

true though I already had a brake controller... IMHO no truck should be without one lol

a basic controller can be has for as little as $40 though I suggest spending at least $70 on a better one with at inertia sensing.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the drums and hubs are still good you may still have to replace everything else from the actuator to the wheel cylinders. I wouldn't give up on the wheel cylinders without a thorough inspection. The good news is that brake parts are relatively inexpensive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

a basic controller can be has for as little as $40 though I suggest spending at least $70 on a better one with at inertia sensing.
A Tekonsha P3 is going to run $120.

If I was switching to electric brakes, I would be replacing the drums that are specified for electric brakes.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

that's true...
looking at only new stuff on ebay:

a Curt venturer is $37 (timer operated) (I hate these)

a tekenosha voyager is $56 (pendulum sensor)

If you want used you can get even better for less

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

that's true...
looking at only new stuff on ebay:

a Curt venturer is $37 (timer operated) (I hate these)

a tekenosha voyager is $56 (pendulum sensor)
Welcome to the Stone Age of brake controllers!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Welcome to the Stone Age of brake controllers!

nooo the stone age was the best ever... had a T into the brake line.....

But yeah... that's why I said I suggest spending at least $70 on a better one..... mine is a pendulum sensor tho and I have no complaints.