Help with stern light problem

jhebert

Ensign
Re: Help with stern light problem

Are you sure you have a sternlight lamp? You probably have a white all-round lamp.

greenbm

Seaman

Yes - That is definitely what I have and is definitely a more accurate description. Just curious... What's the difference?

sam am I

Commander

I would guess and Jim, please correct me if I'm wrong, electrically? none per-se.

Physically/optically? A lot.

All around lights are all white, truly an anchor light and can and usually sit atop poles or the like above your line of site. For example, a Bimini Top, 4 ft pole etc. A approaching vessels can see this white/anchor light in all 360 degrees around you.

Stern lights are all white as well but, point/illuminate strictly aft of the vessel and usually are mounted on or near the transom.........Due to design, if you are at the helm or on the deck and look aft towards stern light, the lights are made such that they're shielded/oriented in that they don't shine in your eyes and obstruct your night vision. These lights are not required and are not a substitute for an all around anchor light as they can't not be seen by approaching vessels in all 360 degrees around you.

I made the whole thing up but, it sounds good on paper though.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Navigation Lights and Shapes

For boats less than 12 meters, you usually use a 360? light but you have the option of using a 135? stern light along with a 225? at the boat centerline.

The 27' Bayliner I used to have had the 2 separate lights.