Help with steering on 1969 Evinrude 115

jklpengilly

Cadet
So I have a problem with my bass boat.

the problem is the boat is a 1989 Bayliner Bass with teleflex cable steering that orginally went to a force motor. This is all dandy because the force motor had a tube through the pivot point of the transom bracket for the steering cable then attached to the motor.

my boat on the other hand has a 1969 115 evinrude that runs like a dream and is low hour motor (was on boat when I purchased it).

I dont mind keeping the motor but the steering is making me not want to run the boat on the water. I have the cable mounted to the rear of boat and is then connected to the motor using an extension that I made for it to keep the steering centered.

The motor is mouned to a CMC Power tilt so its set back about 6 inches. I really need to get this motor to use a steering set up like the previous force motor used. I am seeing that the swivel bracket in 1974 changed to this set up (where tube passed through the piviot point like modern cable steering has. Can I change the swivel braket assembly to the newer set up? if so what needs to be done to remove the old one and get a new on in there.

thanks

I can post pics of what I have later on so you guys can give me some advice.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with steering on 1969 Evinrude 115

I don't believe what you are contemplating can be done. At least not without an awful lot of work and expense.