Help with Johnson 150 Ocean Pro

satmac

Cadet
I have a 2001 150 Johnson Ocean Pro v6 that was recently rebuilt. It has been bored once. I put about 15 hours of breakin on it . Doubled oiled through out the breakin period. It had fresh gas and oil .I took it out the first fishing trip after breakin and guess what. I did not get very far. The motor bogged on me . I took it to a machanic and he informed me that I had broke a ring on the third head. I am floored, Can anyone explain what could have caused this to happen. Can the ring be replaced or will the whole power head have to be reworked again .Also, someone mentioned, these type motors had only so much room for rebuilds. If this is true, what are my options.

satmac

Cadet
Re: Help with Johnson 150 Ocean Pro

Ok , I have a service manual on the way . Can anyone help with the questions ?

jonesg

Admiral

why was it rebuilt?
was the original problem found?
theres obviously something going on here.

If the inital rebore was to 20 thou' they can be bored to 30 oversize that I know.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Was every cylinder rebuilt when it was tore down originally or just one or two and was this one of the ones rebuilt/bored? As jonesg asked, why was it initially rebuilt?

What do you mean by the third head? There are only two heads on an engine. Do you mean 3rd cylinder?

If only some of the cylinders were rebuilt/bored and then you loaded up oil at 25:1, you could have carbed up rings on the other pistons and caused a ring to snap, but if they were all rebulit/bored when it was apart, then not sure except for bad workmanship.

In any case, I would take it staright back to whoever rebuilt it and tell them it only has 15 hours of break in on it, and it didn't even make it out of the break in period, provided the cylinder that broke a ring was rebuilt previously.

satmac

Cadet

Thank you for the replies, JonesG I do not know why the motor was rebuilt or the extent of the job .I purchased it from a guy whom baught it from Ellis Marine out of Florida. This individual was having a custom boat being built and decided he wanted more power than the 150 and sold it to me . I do not think he ever hooked it to his boat. He dropped it off at a local boat shop. The machanic checked the compression, it was good. The leakdown test was good. The lower unit checked out. I was informed that it was solid, and here I am. Cricket Too , yes the third cylinder is what the machanic said. That is where the ring is broke.I believe my father in law and I will be busy getting to the source and hopefully we will find the suspect problem .I was feeling the same way about calling the company that did the work , but there is no longer a working nomber and the one year garunteee is expired.Also, is there anything at all for future ref. about what need to be done during and after break in .

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Who did the rebuild? What spark plugs are you using?

satmac

Cadet

Dhadley, Ellis Marine from Florida did the rebuild. QL78YC is the spark plug #s.

Last edited: