Help with impeller replacement

mcpo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need to change my impeller, or think I do...it has been sitting for 5 years and not started until the other day and it seemed to be pumping ok...but I think it is safer to replace.<br /><br />My problem is this: I don't have a tech manual, just an exploded diagram and don't know where to start. It is an 85, OMC, 3.8L, V6, stringer outdrive. I live in a small town and can't get a repair manual unless I order it and that will take about 2 weeks. I need to do this today if I can.<br /><br />Can anyone give me the directions?<br />I would appreciate it.<br />Thanks

ed hobbs

Seaman
Re: Help with impeller replacement

This copied verbatum from the Seloc Manual (except for my commentary) <br /><br />1 - Remove the three bolts securing the rear cover to the upper gear housing (the water pump access cover).<br /><br />2 - Lift the cover free of the upper gear housing. (duh) <br /><br />3 - Remove the three bolts securing the water pump housing.<br /><br />4 - Rotate the housing and pull it free. The seal, liner, and water pump impeller will all remain with the water pump housing. If the impeller failed to stay with the housing, pull it free from the pump shaft. If the impeller remained in the pump housing, pull it free with a pair of pliers. Do NOT remove the pump liner unless it is scored or worn. To remove the liner, pull it free with a pair of pliers.<br /><br /> SPECIAL WORDS <br />A new liner is included in a Cobra water pump repair kit, as shown in the accompanying illustration. (which you have to buy the book to see!) <br /><br />5 - Pry the pump plate free of the water pump adapter, using a gasket removal tool. Remove and discard the gasket from under the plate.<br /><br />There is another 2 pages of cleaning procedures and picture, but any self-respecting DIYer shouldn't need to be told that. I have recently done this, and it assumes you have the kit, not just the impeller. reassemble in reverse order. The tricky part is getting the funny shaped seal in place when reinstalling. Torque the housing bolts to 108 - 132 in/lbs, and the cover bolts the same.

mcpo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Marooned, Thanks a bunch...I really do appreciate you sending that information. I'm going to give it a try.<br />cal

mcpo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wups...I just noticed something. I don't have 3 bolts. that secure the rear housing. Mine is a stringer 800 not a Cobra. Sorry bout that. Do they both work the same?<br />Thanks,

ed hobbs

Seaman

I'm sorry - I overlooked that detail. I don't have the book for Stringer Drive. I can't imagine they are too different, though.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

An OMC stringer water pump job is much more complicated than a Cobra!!! Don't even think of doing it with out a good manual!!!

danthern

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too am staring an impeller replaement in the face with my stringer. The manual and the knowledeable folks on the forum say that you need to remove the whole outdrive. There is a shift cable that can be very tricky and costly to repair if you screw it up. I wouldnt attempt it without the manual. Good luck, let me know how it goes. You may consider having it done by a pro if you aren't feeling comfortable with disassembling the outdrive.

ed hobbs

Seaman

I stand corrected! :eek: Dang, that was a lot of typing! Oh well, maybe someone else can use it!