Help with impeller change

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1979 85hp Spirit (Suzuki)<br /><br />OK, I'm trying to replace the impeller on my motor. So, I read the manual for how to disassemble the water pump. Step one, remove the gearcase. Makes sense, now how do I remove this.<br /><br />One of the first steps is to remove a cover from the front of the drive shaft to disconnect the shift rod. Sounds good, but I can't seem to find the cover that they're talking about. They don't give a picture of that with the whole engine, and since this is a Spirit, not a Suzuki, I'm not 100% positive it's going to be where they describe it.<br /><br />To make life easier I took a couple of pictures. Here's the motor:
motor.jpg
<br /><br />I'm not sure if they mean that big bracket looking thing right above the gearcase. I tried taking the nut off that you can see, but the bolt going through there seemed to be supporting the weight of the engine, so I don't know that that is what the manual is referencing. Or maybe it's higher up, but I can't see any way to get anything else off. :( <br /><br />Here's the page of the manual I'm referencing. <br />
manual.jpg
<br />See, there is one picture in the upper left that's a closeup of that cover being off, but I can't tell where that would be. I'm on step 6 of that procedure, by the way, if you want to see the description.<br /><br />So, anyone have any ideas?<br /><br />Here's bigger version of the other pictures, for those with higher speed connections who want a closer view:<br />The motor: Big picture of motor <br />The manual page: Big picture of manual

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help with impeller change

Ahoy, Yensid. So far I am as baffled as you. I would say that the engine in the manual is not the same engine you have. :confused: <br /><br />There is a shadetree Bote Fixer down in Miserable Wells that has been trying to sell me an old Spirit 85. I'll stop by there and have a look, maybe even ask him about your prob.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yensid! I.m not shure how to change your water pump. Don't work on suzuki's. Sorry that I can't help there but you might be able to help me. How do or did you post them pictures on here? I,ve been wanting to know this for awhile. Thank You! <br /><br />Nick

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, J.B.! That's way above and beyond!<br /><br />I was tempted to take off the gearcase anyways, but I'm afraid of what would happen if I don't disconnect that shift rod. This motor has been so nice, I'd hate to hurt it :) <br /><br />nickster, when you're doing a reply, there's a link to the left of where you type that says UBB Code is enabled. Click on that and it will give you instructions for doing an image tag. Oh, wait, just noticed they have an easy method, too. Click the TIMAGE button below the text box and type in the URL to your picture.

markg

Cadet

Yensid,<br />I had a DT115 that I changed the water pump (impeller) on. The bolts above the cavitation plate come out. Before any of that disconnect the battery and shift rod. That's the easy part. The bolts above the cavitation plate are holding the lower unit onto the "leg". The L/U weighs about 40/50# and will drop when the last bolt comes free. The manual should tell the location of the bolts as well as their head size-probably 10-13mm ? There may be one in the trim tab cavity. I'm not sure about the Spirit. When you drop it will look this L with emphasis on the bottom; the vertical portion is the shift rod and iasn't more than 3/8 thick and about 24-30" long. Be real careful because it bends easily. If you get that far and want to go on, let me know.

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks reeldeal! I had pulled the battery, and disconnected the spark plugs for safety. What I'm really wondering now is how to disconnect the shift rod. The manual implies that there is a cover on the front of the drive shaft I remove, then I pull a cotter pin and a screw, but I can't find that cover to look behind. Any thoughts on where they might be talking about?<br /><br />After that I think I'll be doing decently, they have the rest diagrammed and written out pretty well.

markg

Cadet

Yensid,<br />To the best of memory, the "pin" that disconnects the shift rod from the linkage is under the power head. Follow the shift cable to the point it ends along side the engine. It should disconnect right there. BTW, I should have mentioned that the drive shaft will be parallel to the shift rod and it's about 1", very sturdy and grooved on the top end. As the powerhead turns that shaft, it will also drive the impeller in the water pump housing. Be patient, don't strip any heads and be sure to use some anti-seize compound when you reinstall the bolts.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Yensid. Well I struck out. The wrench was in his cups and gave me hell for caring about motors when "the terrorists are taking over the world". I did get a look at the motor he has been trying to sell me; it looks like the pictures of yours. :( <br /><br />Sorry.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, thanks reel, I have enough now to get started on this! :) <br /><br />J.B., thanks for trying. Sounds like a stange guy :rolleyes: Personally, I don't want last Tuesday to mess with my life any more than necessary, 'cause then it feels to me like the terrs win.