Help with identification of older 3HP Johnson outboard

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
Getting closer - had it running today and runs great! Gonna need a new tank but got the leak down to a minimum which is good enough to test run it. Carb is running over to and won't run at anything under the start position so I pulled it back off and gonna take a look at it - everything in it is new so maybe I don't have the float set right.........also talked to the guy that owned it before and he ran it at 50:1 and thought I was crazy to run it at 24:1 but I told him I got a lot of guys with lots of experience (along with the owners manual) telling me to run it at that........he can't believe it even runs at that! Maybe by the weekend it will be ready for a test run on the boat!

lindy46

Captain
Float may be binding on something or not properly adjusted, so the bowl is overfilling. I usually adjust the float a little down from parallel with the float body to insure the valve closes before gas is at too high a level.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Run my '59 3hp Sea King 24:1. You are correct. Stick with it.

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
Worked at it all day today - pulled the carb back off and went thru everything again and still have gas coming from the float bowl gasket and now it won't run unless the choke is pulled halfway out. Also had gas seeping out from between the crankcase halves so went to the parts store and got some shellac and took it apart and resealed it. Also still won't idle but found a post on the timing so gonna work on that tomorrow. Part of the problem with the bowl was the new gasket was too soft and it was pushing out when I tightened the screws so I made one which helped but didn't cure it completly. It's a little frustrating but this thing is gonna get straightened out one way or another!

On a good note my replacement tank showed up from Florida today so no more gas leaks........and alot less dents!

lindy46

Captain
Maybe you overtightened the float bowl screws. Also, you need to tighten a little at a time and never tighten screws next to each other. I usually alternate from side-to-side, and tighten a little at a time until all screws are just snug.

Ohiotinkerer

Cadet
Didn't seem to matter - if I snugged them down alternating back and forth it still leaked - bowl looks like it could be a little warped upon a closer look. Have you ever seen that? Also went to adjust the carb-cam setting and it is already adjusted all the way out. Can they get bent backwards from use over time? Being 53 years old I guess anything is possible but this is a learning process for me.............

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If the carb is completely disassembled, like you presumably did when rebuilding, the top and bottom can be resurfaced like you would a head cover (400 grit sandpaper on a flat surface) -- have to take it apart again to do that, of course. The nozzle is brass, and can be buggered up -- but needs to be fully seated for the carb to fit back together -- gets removed for cleaning. If top and bottom do not fit together easily, it's probably a reassembly issue. You also need the nozzle boss gasket for proper function, although that probably wouldn't affect the fit. If you go back into the carb, I would make sure the dome on top was removed for cleaning, with a new one installed. Also doesn't hurt to make sure the float isn't upside down.

A little OMC gasket sealer might help. Either the rubber or cork gasket will work. Cork is probably a little less subject to over tightening, but using a crisscross pattern and snugging it down by hand should work with either gasket.

[Edit. Check the assembly of the throttle linkage -- believe the flat spot on the shaft of the throttle cam mates with the flat spot in the lever opening. Might be possible to assemble it wrong -- not sure offhand.]

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain
Didn't seem to matter - if I snugged them down alternating back and forth it still leaked - bowl looks like it could be a little warped upon a closer look. Have you ever seen that? Also went to adjust the carb-cam setting and it is already adjusted all the way out. Can they get bent backwards from use over time? Being 53 years old I guess anything is possible but this is a learning process for me.............

You may have to adjust the little metal link between the cam follower and the carb if the cam is all the way out. Bend the link until you get carb buttefly to start opening at the proper position.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
There should be a cam dropping down from the mag plate -- piece that the carb cam follower engages. I'm not sure I see that in your pics. Might be good to take a look at a parts blow up just to check.