Help with Holley Carb

magic11305

Seaman
Please.....I am at a total loss. I purchased a 1980 260 Sea Ray with a 5.7 vortec. The engine is a crate engine from Michigan Motorz, which was manufactured in 2008. I have pulled the motor and preformed a total rebuild. This brings me to my bewilderment........it has a Holley 4150 single pumper with vac assist secondarys. I put a Holly rebuild kit in it and found that the primary metering block does not have any idle adjustment screws. Where the screws are supposed to live, there are some sort of machined blanks pressed into the opening. The secondarys were designed without. I tried the carb on the motor anyways....just to see, and the engine ran ok, just not below 1400 rpm. I will attempt to attach pictures. Please, this is really driving me crazy, help!

Attachments

• carb 1.jpg
    carb 1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • carb 3.jpg
    carb 3.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • carb 4.jpg
    carb 4.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Help with Holley Carb

Your second pic has factory covers which are covering the adjusting screws. You should be able to "carefully" get them off which will give you access.

magic11305

Seaman

Thank you AllDodge, I did get those covers off and found the set screws behind them. Thanks to everyone else for sharing your knowledge and experience. I have been reading this forum for a long time and have learned a lot. As I gain knowledge I hope to be helpful and contribute more. I just have to learn how to post these messages first. Thanks again :joyous:

magic11305

Seaman

The boat sank, sat in the po's yard for two years. I bought it as a project. The boat is in very good shape. I was told that the reason he was selling so cheap is because it would have to be repowered. I pulled the engine and drained 6 gallons of water out, before I got to the oil pudding. I was worried but when I tore the engine down, It looked like nothing ever happened to it. It is a very low hour engine so I took the block and heads to the machine shop and had them done. I also replaced all the electrical, starter..alternator..etc. It purrs like a big kitten, but I have come accross carburator issues. First I had to find the idle screws, and thanks to this forum, I did. Now one screw has no effect on the idle, I can even pull the screw out while the motor is running. This causes not effect on the idle and the is plenty of vaccuum come thru the screw hole. I am suspecting problems in the metering bloc. I did put a Holley rebuild kit in and soaked everything in solvent. I didn't pull those caps off that are on top of the metering block to check for blockage....yet. I am however getting an education in marine motors. I also have a 20ft bowrider with a 3.0 merc. whenever I have had any problems with it in the past, I always study what these guys on the forum have to say. Tons of knowledge in this forum.

alldodge

Staff member

Take the metering block off and resoak it, blow air through it and all. At least the one you have is real easy to remove just part without the whole carb.

magic11305

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. I have soaked the metering block twice over night and then blew out all the passages with compressed air, no change. I saw a video where a guy had the same problem and took the caps off of the emulsion chambers and found dried gas or corrosion down in the well. I figue it's worth a try before trying to find the correct metering block for my carb.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

take a small piece of copper wire, remove the insulation and take one strand and fish it thru all the passages. since you can not get the motor to run below 1400, I suspect the idle circuits are plugged.

Holley 4150 and 4160 carbs are like mr potato head. you can mix-n-match metering blocks, bowls, base plates, venturis, etc. just go to summit racing and look up 4150 metering block.

where in SW FL are you?

magic11305

Seaman

Thanks for the reply Scott. I am in Punta Gorda, just north of Fort Myers. I'll try the wire and see if I can get anywhere with that. I have been researching metering blocks, been on Summit's site quite a few times. Are the blocks interchangeable even if the emulsion holes are different? I called Holley and they looked up my carb, said it is no longer in production and they don't make metering blocks for it. They did say that they would be more than happy to sell me a new one.....for $519.00. Also anyone ever try one of those after market aluminum billit blocks? If I get this idle problem solved I'll have a good motor that should last a while. I still have my bowrider to fish around the harbor with in the mean time. Again, thank you everyone for the input.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

The aftermarket blocks are better than the original.

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Magic, I did not read of anyone mentioning setting the float level, float level is critical for those carbs. The setting should be that the gas on the side view screw should be just even with the bottom of the hole other wise you could be sucking fuel through your main circuit that is causing fuel to flow at idol. Most people think the carb feeds the motor which is not true, the motor sucks air down over the venturies and vacumn sucks the fuel for your mixture. When everything is set right you should see an idol change 1/2 turn on your idol screw each way. If you look at the bottom of the carb your primary plates should be adjusted so that you see maybe 1/16" of your idol slot showing. Buz

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice

get a Elderbrock Or carter carb there like plug and play. Holleys are so temperamental.