Help with Engine ID / prop

wharfcreek

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I have a 'new to me' boat with a Yamaha 90 HP 2-stroke / 3-cylinder engine. I'm trying to find the model number of this motor. Stickers are gone. Maybe there's something hidden under the hood? What is usually on the mounting bracket area is long gone! Just want to be able to buy parts as related to what ever the proper model number is. Also, I need a new prop for this motor, and was hoping to go 'shopping' with a bit more knowledge. I'm posting a pic of the motor I have though the pic is a 'stock' photo off the internet. BTW, the boat this motor is on is a 1997 Sea Hunt 17' Center Console boat. Boat weighs about 1300 lbs 'dry', plus what ever the motor and gas is. Hopefully knowing that, along with make/model of engine, and I'll be able to get a correct prop! Many thanks!! Tom D.

Attachments

• Yamaha 90HP Outboard pic.jpg
    Yamaha 90HP Outboard pic.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 7

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The motor did not come from Yamaha with a propeller installed. A boat builder, a Yamaha dealer or a previous owner selected and installed the propeller type (brand/model/diameter/pitch) that they felt was best at the time of installation.

Different users want different results from a propeller. What is good for one won't necessarily be good for some one else.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
look up Yamaha Performance Bulletins to find a boat like yours or close.
and see what prop they used

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
look up Yamaha Performance Bulletins to find a boat like yours or close.
and see what prop they used
Too much work. OP wants to be spoon fed information. Probably then biitch about the cost of whatever propeller was recommended.

wharfcreek

Seaman Apprentice
Actually, I found a guy to spoon feed me the info off his prop, which was from a similar boat with a similar motor.

Why the need for all the derogatory remarks boscoe? Really? Can't you just try helping without being so 'judgmental', or has that 'Lieutenant Commander' title of yours gone to your head>>>>????

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
why is it so hard to take recommendations and look for yourself.
we look up the info for our equipment, but we do not have the need to look up yours.
maybe you will learn some new things in the process, so you do not have to rely on others next time you need that type of info

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Actually, I found a guy to spoon feed me the info off his prop, which was from a similar boat with a similar motor.

Why the need for all the derogatory remarks boscoe? Really? Can't you just try helping without being so 'judgmental', or has that 'Lieutenant Commander' title of yours gone to your head>>>>????
Because I spent my time trying to help you by asking you a couple of questions. To which you apparently could not be bothered spending any of your time to answer. Then you jumped 99yam who was also trying to help you.

While I like the vast vast majority of people, I don't like your kind.

wharfcreek

Seaman Apprentice
OK, I guess you two guys run this stuff the way YOU want to! Sorry I didn't conform to your way of doing things. Shame on me for asking for a little help! You both ran me off the Yamaha forum, now you can pat yourselves on the back for running me off this one too. I'll just part by saying I've been around a LOT of Forums in my 72 years on the planet: DIY Electronics, Harley Davidson, Wood Working, guitars and amplifiers, Cars and Trucks, and yes, even boats. It's guys like you who 'think' all the rhetoric you offer is really helpful that are the dinosaurs of this century. If you just kept it simple, answered a direct question with a direct answer, or at least another direct question, you'd be a LOT more helpful. The snide remarks, the insinuations, the 'insults;....all uncalled for, very childish on your part, and just makes for bad form, or 'forum'. Fortunately for me, I've got a LOT of 'other' resources!!!

SEA-ya...........

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
So, you refusing to give us info from your motor or to look at the web site we recommended is running you off from this or another forum.
you have got to be losing your mind.
sorry to see you go, but you do what you want like you have

airshot

Rear Admiral
Bottom line is, you need to look carefully for a serial or model number, mabey on your title, should be under cowl or on mounting bracket!!! As far as correct prop goes, there is no such thing...a correct prop is based on the wot rpm compared to the max rpm rating on your motor. In other words, go run it, look at your rpm...you need your wot rpm to match the max rated rpm of your motor. Sample : motor is rated for 5500 rpm max...when you run on the water your actual rpm is only 5200 rpm...you need a prop with less pitch to make up the extra 300 rpm. Do some research as their is a lot of info posted on this. Welcome to the forum !! Sorry your initial start did not go well.....